Customer reviews

on 8 May 2017
Tom Wright writes so well, he has the ability to speak to everyone and at the same time not lose the profundity of the gospel of John; lots of useful analogies bring the story to life
on 16 May 2015
excellent
on 5 October 2006
all the books in this series are really useful when trying to unravel the meaning of the Gospels/letters. If trying to find ideas for a sermon for a particular reading then look no further - Tom Wright provides several ideas to get you started. An invaluable collection.
VINE VOICEon 20 June 2013
I am working my way through Tom Wright's "For Everyone" series of New Testament commentaries at a rapid pace.I am finding them very interesting and fascinating and they have helped me make more sense out of the Bible as I was finding it contradictory and confusing. These books are well written and the commentaries on the biblical text are absorbing. I feel drawn to reading these books and I put this down to the Holy Spirit being at work in some way to strengthen my faith and provide guidance.I believe that by reading the Bible the Holy Spirit interacts with the believing reader to bring him or her closer to Jesus. This is a book to read again and again.
on 22 February 2010
This really made the Gospel of John feel so alive and relevant, I have really had my eyes opened by this highly recommended book.
on 3 February 2013
I have enjoyed and benefited from reading all the " ... for Everyone" commentaries by Tom Wright. This is now the second time around and just as good on Kindle as the paper version. Just lighter to carry.
on 5 December 2016
Wright prepares the reader for the drama then stages it in an intimate theatre with the reader in the front row. There is no escaping the uncompromising reality of the character of Jesus, the frailty and naivety of his followers, or the calculating evil of the world which rejected it's saviour. Audience participation is not optional - it is required - it is inevitable.
on 4 July 2013
I used this book for personal study and for preparation for a small-group study at my church. The book is extremely readable but scholarly. The format of a translation of the passage, followed by an interesting anecdote and the commentary helps and the application to life is always present.
on 13 August 2013
Not read yet, but if the first part is anything to go by will definitely be a book to be savoured and pored over for a very long time,, Tom Wright has a lovely light touch whilst being very clear and theological not too frightening for anyone not scholarly like me.
on 4 May 2012
I found this commentary really useful however there were some specific ideas that I wanted to explore that weren't covered deeply. Probably more a problem of what I was taking to the book. I found the overall contents to be very stimulating and encouraging.