Format: Paperback|Change

on 7 June 2002
Tom Wright is to be congratulated on making up to date scholarship on Luke's gospel not only easily accessible, but a source of inspiration and worship.
Wright begins each section of the book with a fresh translation of a few verses followed by a detailed commentary, usually beginning with a helpful illustration.
Each section takes about ten minutes to read. The book therefore lends itself to daily devotional reading
Within our Church congregation the book is being enjoyed by someone who has two M.A. degrees in theology, as well as some who have become Christians within the last few months.
Recommended for everyone who wants to take a fresh look at Luke's gospel.
on 1 August 2008
From the first page through to the last, this book is a real delight. I honestly treasure it.

In the past I have found commentaries to be books I only use as resource material, too heavy for much general reading. Understanding the scriptures is important to me and I am very grateful that the author chose to pass on his knowledge in such a gentle, engaging style. It means I can come home after a long day at work, help the kids with their homework and then have enough energy left to delve into the bible.

This is a book I look forward to opening each evening. Its like sitting down with a wise, learned old friend to discuss the bible together. Tom Wright has turned me from being a tired student into an avid reader.

I am totally impressed and have bought the lot. The whole set so far.

I want to shake him by the hand.

Thank you Tom.

Neil Hardisty.
VINE VOICEon 29 October 2013
I've been steadily working my way through all of Tom Wright's books in his "For Everyone" series and they are all particularly interesting. "Luke for Everyone" provides commentaries on the text of this gospel which both explain and enlighten. Luke's gospel covers much of the same ground as Matthew's and it makes for quite a familiar read. I admire the way that Tom Wright has managed to make sense of the quite disparate stories in the New Testament and convey that knowledge to the reader so that his or her faith is strengthened. All of the books in this series are like that. I feel that you draw closer to Jesus by reading the New Testament and thinking about it in a way that singing a few hymns and saying a few prayers in church on Sunday , then putting it out of your mind for the rest of a busy money making week, cannot.
on 11 May 2009
A well written, thought provoking book, like the others in the series, that can really bring to life the world of the new testament, and make the familiar shine in a new light. Highly recommended.
on 27 March 2013
we used this as part of a home group during Lent 2013
we would read a passage then discuss it using his comments to get discussion started
having his own translation which is quite different at times to the Bibles we had was more confusing than helpful - people brought NIV, NRSV, NEB and Good News - so this raised questions of why another translation?
His anecdotes, stories and comments engaged our interest and inspired some to read the whole book

it fills a gap between the highly academic commentaries and the more popular chatty ones
on 12 March 2014
This is not a verse-by-verse exposition, but gives very good insight into each passage of Luke. The author especially follows the theme of Jesus's teaching as he moves towards Jerusalem for the end. I find it useful to read alongside Mathew Henry's Commentary for each passage, as this does look at each verse. Tom Wright has also written companion Bile Study guiodes, and I intend to study these at some stage.
So far I have used the same author's 'for Everyone' guides for Mark, John and Matthew, and I have certainly learned a lot; the author has a gift for allowing one to see passages with fresh eyes.. I intend to use the same guides for the epistles next.
on 22 May 2016
Tom Wright does a good job at explaining the New Testament in easy to understand modern terms which is what I was looking for as my lack of understanding the original text put me off reading this book for decades!
on 28 December 2012
Tom Wright is a highly respected and well known scholar. He has written many books which really are helpful to those folks seeking to understand more about the New Testament which we often take so much for granted. This one is highly recommended.
on 30 December 2012
I am a Reader in the Anglican Church and find Tom Wright's commentaries excellent for topic information and ideas for worship. I am in the process of acquiring his commentaries on the four Gospels and plan gradually to build up my library.
on 2 December 2012
A useful book for researching gospel readings Yr C of the Common Worship Lectionary. Tom Wright puts things into context of today rather than just yesteryear, so making the readings relevant in today's world.