Format: Paperback|Change

This book is a really great explanation of the gospel; it is written in plain english and explains the gospel, the context it is written in and the content is simple but informative. i got a lot from this book and i'm now collecting the other books in the series. Buy it, it's worth it
on 16 June 2011
Tom Wright is a powerful communicator. In his view, Mark's Gospel is presented as breathlessly urgent, colourful, challenging, sometimes humorous and utterly relevant to life today in all it's complexities. He makes some of Christ's more difficult teachings relatively easy to understand, whilst leaving us room to think for ourselves and reflect on the personal meaning of what we have read.

My only wish is that Wright could have given us more on the issues that many who are new to the Bible struggle with - the resurrection, exorcism, the nature of sin, repentance. He seems to approach some of these issues at a tangent without always tackling them head-on. As a result, I was often excited by his insights, but sometimes puzzled by exactly what it was I was excited about!

But overall, engaging and beautifully written.
on 10 September 2007
Easy to read and understand, this book gave me not only the historical background to the gospel, but also a greater understanding of the deeper meaning behind every part of it. It is a book to which I shall keep returning.
on 14 September 2007
Wright approaches the gospel of Mark, as with all the books in his 'For Everyone' series, in a gentle manner, covering the story bit by bit in no more than three pages. Excellent introductions in his own words, with a readable and concise commentary. By no means heavy, but accurate, and can be used for brief daily study. Highly recommended.
on 12 October 2007
I thought that as Mark is the shortest gospel it would be sketchy and dull This book brought Mark to me as a vivid exciting read with a huge build up of tension in the story. I was as gripped as by any thriller. I thoroughly recommend it.
on 21 April 2014
True to form, this is an excellent study of Mark's Gospel, written in a convincing and very accessible style. Tom Wright has broken down the study into easily digestible chapters and in each one he provides relevant and colourful examples and every day illustrations. Better still, he concludes each chapter with a penetrating challenge or question. A very helpful and informative read.
on 19 January 2014
An accessible yet serious read - picking up on, and elaborating on, themes from Wright's marvellous 'Christian Origins and the Qu. of God' series. A good format - each section begins with an anecdote, explanation of text and then relevance to us today. I am now reading the Luke text - I'm just hoping for similar texts on Isaiah and Daniel and other OT books. Unfortunately - or fortunately, as the case may be - he has become my NT authority - he sweeps other scholars under the carpet.
on 28 December 2013
This is a great Bible Study on Mark, presented by Tom Wright in my opinion, one of the great Biblical Scholars of our time.

Having used William Barclay's Bible commentaries in the past, I can safely say that this commentary on Mark's Gospel is both interesting and insightful.

I would thoroughly recommend Tom Wright's - Everyone commentaries, to anyone who wants a deeper meaningful understanding of the Bible.
on 21 March 2014
Studying the whole of Mark's gospel brings out Mark's sense of immediacy and the developing story of Jesus as Messiah. He also includes wonderful human touches. Tom Wright brings all this out and ties it all together like no one else has ever done for me. I hae gained so much by studying Mark using this book.
on 15 March 2012
I like all tom wright's writings and this is no exception. sections of Marks gospel are printed for each day in Toms own translation - which is similar to the CEV - and then he interprets it using the meaning of the day and then transferring this to modern times. He is for the 'intelligent lay person' who likes a bit of fact and history and a bit of spiritual interpretation. I use it for my daily bible study