Customer reviews

Biblical Hebrew for Beginners
Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 August 2017
It's accessible but is occasionally inaccurate and has a very irritating way of simplifying unnecessarily. If I'm willing to learn or relearn Hebrew I will not need to be protected from the word 'conjunction' by calling them 'joining words'. This becomes very unhelpful with the moods of verbs whose normal Hebrew names give a strong clue as to how to identify them - and as this is only an introduction the writer must surely know his reader will need to go elsewhere with the proper names of categories to move on with study.
on 18 May 2015
Good book, well written, the only thing it lacks to make 5 star, is cd to aid pronouncing of the letters and words correctly.
on 20 March 2016
An excellent little book for someone starting out learning Biblical Hebrew.
on 24 March 2017
Excellent with clear guidance and Bible passages
on 6 July 2015
I bought this book to refresh the biblical Hebrew I studied many years ago. The author is a prolific and clear writer but I have only just begun to work through. Dan Cohn-Sherbok gives some brief but essential advice on how to use the book. This requires, he emphasizes, one hours study at least each day and in a disciplined manner. So far so good. I bought the book mainly to refresh the verbs of the language.
on 30 September 2012
I worked through this book recently and I think this is a super little book. I have recently learned to read New Testament Greek but wondered whether I would be up to reading Biblical Hebrew and so wanted to start with something that is straightforward and not intimidating. This book was exactly the right thing for me. In just 84 pages it covers all the basics of Hebrew grammar and using a Hebrew dictionary. This is then followed by plenty of practice and guidance at reading selected verses form the Hebrew Bible. I found the book to be extremely encouraging and I learned a lot. I'm now ready to move on to a more advanced book with confidence. The book uses the modern way of pronouncing Hebrew which seems sensible to learn to me, since nobody is certain how it used to be pronounced in ancient times anyway. I now read a couple of verses from the Hebrew Bible everyday, using a verse by verse analytical key, to build up my knowledge. It's most rewarding. I've also found the Biblical Hebrew summary sheet by Pratico and Van Pelt to be a useful reference aid as well (though it does use a different pronunciation). I really liked the way Dan Cohn-Sherbok suggested for writing the Hebrew consonants by hand. My only minor criticism was that I sometimes wished that the Hebrew text in this book was a bit larger. This book is a great place to start on the journey of learning Biblical Hebrew and I highly recommend it.
on 23 April 2016
I had no idea how hebrew is about before reading this book. My purpose was to read Bible from its original language and after reading this book i see that is the correct resource to begin with. This book directs to this way without confusing you with complex grammar rules and start you to read Bible as soon as possible. If you purpose is same with me this is the correct book.
on 22 March 2014
I bought this to supplement the traditions boo kby Prof Weingreen and use it to help simplify his far too detailed content. It is good for that, and for pronunciation etc.
on 25 January 2000
This is definitely one of the best books that I have come across for beginners at learning Biblical Hebrew (I am one myself). It is suitable as a text book, and for self-study, by anyone interested in learning the basics of this language. The style is simple, and very clear and concise, telling the beginner just what he or she needs to know, no more, no less. The explanations are brief and to the point, and given in simple everyday language without expecting the reader to be familiar with grammatical terminology or linguistic notation. It is therefore suitable for those who have no prior experience at learning grammar or foreign languages.
The book devotes not just a couple of pages (as is sometimes the case with Hebrew grammars), but the first six chapters to the symbols of the language, taking the reader step by step through the Hebrew alphabet, vowels, and other signs. This is good for beginners as the symbols of Hebrew are a major hurdle at the preliminary stage of learning the language. The pronunciation taught is the Sephardi one which is commonly used in Israel. Having got the signs out of the way, it goes on to show that Biblical Hebrew is actually a very easy language to learn. After going through the book and doing the exercises, the reader should be able to read the Hebrew Bible with some understanding. More detailed and advanced books will be necessary for further study by the serious student, but as an introductory text for the total beginner, this book ranks amongst the top three best books which I have looked at (and I have collected quite a few).
0Comment| 91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 February 2012
This book is so clear. The writer makes learning Biblical Hebrew easy and interesting. He explains things in an excellent manor. The book is interesting to read.