on 28 March 2005
I learned to cook with this book and yet I still regularly use it to prepare some terrific food. If you can find it, be sure to buy the (now unfashionable) original version. This has information on skinning rabbits, preparing pheasants etc. which is omitted from the new edition. Also, the new edition tries to be 'healthier'. Often this is fine, but the sad truth is that for many traditional English, French and Italian recipes olive oil just isn't a particularly good suitable for the butter, lard or dripping used traditionally.
on 12 December 2006
The original version of this book is amazing, I have an old 1981 copy that I stole from my mother upon leaving for university, its nearly as old as me but still the best cookbook I have ever found. If you can get one of the old copies I recommend it, firstly it has the month by month guide to in season produce and recipes, good for those concerned with buying local produce. But then there is so much more, even down to skinning game and cooking instructions for almost every meat, vegetable and pastry imaginable. I have been a head chef since then, even so I still occasionally refer to. Forget all the glossy books from celebrity chefs, a bespattered, tatty copy of this will stand you in far better stead!
on 25 June 2017
I have always loved this book. Although a little dated, it shows all basic cooking methods as well as many excellent recipes that can easily be adjusted to modern ingredients if necessary. Just bought this for my daughter.
on 20 March 2017
We have always loved this and our old copy is a bit the worse for ware. Thus bought a new pristine copy.
Over decades of use the well illustrated recipes have seldom if ever let us down.
on 19 May 2017
I have had a copy of this book for probably 30 years, as has my sister, who is now in a care home. She took the book in with her and she loves it, although I don't know what she expects to do with it. Anyway, hers went missing (as do so many things) And she fretted over it, so I bought her another, which is in excellent condition and arrived very quickly. We are all happy with it.
on 13 May 2017
This is a very good product, already put to use, and just as expected. It arrived on time and very well packaged. It is as described by the seller. Thank you very much.
on 28 September 2017
Brilliant a complete copy for the one I bought in 1975
on 23 January 2009
The Cookery Year

My mother bought this book back in the mid 70's when it was first published. I tried various recipes from time to time, and the book became a godsend after her untimely death in early 1992. I acquired a puppy shortly afterwards, the aroma of book glue was too much to resist for her, so the spine got chewed!! From then on, I limped along with a very battered (and spattered!) copy, and some 18 months ago, I was able to source a replacement copy, before I found the wonders of Amazon! A wonderful book, with as previous reviewers have said, tips on skinning rabbits (not for the fainthearted!) and buying offal - not for the squeamish amongst us. This is a book for anyone setting up home, or wanting to start out on a great cookery adventure!

PS - the updated version of this book which I think was published in the mid 1990s has some good qualities, but it is not a patch on the original, as several recipes have been removed, and ingredients have been adapted to what has become available.
on 29 September 2017
Great book. Brings back good memories and great cooking .
on 19 January 2015
I love this book. My mum has one and it just reminds me of growing up and cooking my first dishes. Excellent quality for an old secondhand book. Outer cover was dog-eared but I cellotaped it.