on 6 October 2003
A truly excellent book that I have used time and time again. All the basic recipes are there including bread making, sauces, pies, and other meat dishes. Also included are recipes from foreign lands so you are getting the best from all over the world. Not being an expert cook this book is simply laid out and allows you to "dip in" to prepare whatever dish or ingredient takes your fancy. Full cooking times, preparation and amounts are all included in the recipe with suggestions to improve on the original from days gone by. Plain cooking for everyday meals, add it to your kitchen display, you will find it an invaluable tool to have at hand when you are stuck for ideas.
on 2 December 2008
I got the book in 1980 and have found that out of all my cookbooks this is the one I use most. The recipes for good/comfort eating food are the best. It is excellent for standard recipes and for some unusual ones also like parsnip flan (as a desert).
on 27 July 2010
This is not only an excellent cookery book but it has all the historical background to the recipies as well as a whole wealth of other information. Very highly recommended.
on 18 August 2014
I love this cookbook. Great recipes, but an lovely blurb about the origin and history of each dish as well. Done poorly this could overpower the recipes themselves but here it is the perfect balance. In fact, I can sit down and just read it for pleasure, the recipe introductions are so enjoyable. I am sure my husband is tired of me reading interesting food history facts aloud to him, but he quickly forgives and forgets when I make something from the book.
on 6 October 2011
This book was my Mothers before me and I have used it and treasured it since I was a child. It is a beautiful book that covers the history of cooking and kitchens as well as every festival date and the foods traditionally made for each. The main section is a recipe book, but each recipe has an explanation of its history and the region it came from. It is fascinating and captivating. It even has a section on hedgerow cookery and recipes such as crab apple jelly. It covers some international recipes in each section and also has sections on how to prepare ingredients as well as just the recipes.
on 4 April 2014
This copy replaces one I lost,
Arrived in perfect condition.
I use this book more than any other.
Thank you.
on 19 December 2012
excellent value been looking for this book for my son and he is very pleased with it he. enjoys cooking
on 21 May 2016