Customer reviews

on 4 September 2013
I first borrowed this from the library and it was so good I had to have my own copy. It has helped me overcome nerves in an interview situation ! Even family and friends have used it with great success. To me being of a certain age shall we say, naturally i had been easily successful at interviews in my past but these days it is actually more competitive than ever.I began to doubt myself on one of my interviews as I was shortlisted for a job that really appealed to me but why didn't I nail it ?? This book helped to clarify and bring me right up to the minute on expectations, and even expanding on realistic easy to use techniques. Please do not hesitate to have this book, you won't regret it! You will wish you had it read it a long time ago !
on 27 July 2017
Excellent book. As advertised. Arrived prom.
on 28 May 2017
I read this entire book cover to cover within two days and found it very helpful - so much so, that I got the job that I had the interview for! The main appeal to me from this title was that John Lees writes in a warm and accessible tone so that it feels like a highly qualified friend is helping you. This book is your coach through the whole interview process, from learning how to tell your story to understanding why interviews go wrong. It's packed with standard job book information on presenting yourself and how to overcome nerves, but also with some other less usual chapters. These include how to get into the right frame of mind, prepare your questions and prepare your answers. I like the fact that the book isn't like others which are lists of questions you might be asked and how to answer them, instead Lees shows you how to think for yourself and learn how to respond to any question that could be asked of you.
I'd definitely recommend it.
on 6 November 2014
A really good book on job interviews - very informative and relevant to the subject. Just wondering now, how come I am only chancing on it now. Good stuff. I also recommend one titled “100 Job Interview Success” – small and handy book

on 2 March 2012
This is a fantastic book, packed full of useful and useable information about how to maximise your interview performance. John covers every angle of the interview process from what to wear, how to prepare and how to be at your best in a range of interview situations - covering the traditional interview scenario to preparing for assessment centres, presentations and panel interview. But more than that - he asks the reader to reflect carefully on what exactly it is they have to offer and how to weave this into a cohesive career narrative, and the implications of this approach will help the reader not just prepare for the interview but also to make significant breakthroughs in their broader career thinking - and that is the true gift of this book. As a coaching psychologist, I have a list of 'must read' books for my clients, and I will certainly be adding The Interview Expert to that list.
on 5 February 2012
As several hundred of my own clients can attest, I'm a big fan of John Lees' work - and this new book (I believe his first for Pearson?), adds invaluable potency to an already powerful armoury of careers management tools.

Once you've decided on a target field and packaged your experience, skills and ambitions to persuade the hirer to invest real time to meet you, the job is almost in the bag. But the one remaining hurdle is a biggie: to clinch the deal you MUST prepare, think, believe, speak and behave as though the job is already yours! Get any of this wrong and you automatically introduce doubt to the interview and provide reasons to compare you unfavourably with others.

So do yourself a favour and buy this book. Its 180 or so straight-talking pages contain an astonishing wisdom with piercing easy-to-read insights that will transform your performance in a matter of hours. And if you're daft enough to wait until 'interview eve', then please cut straight to Chapter 21 and read it on the bus. It will certainly put a rocket in your pocket, and could just land you the job. Happy reading - and very best of luck!
on 22 June 2015
An excellent and straightforward handbook to the interview process. I found this book really useful when interviewing for a senior management position and also recommended it others. The content is just right in terms of its structure and depth.
on 9 May 2013
book was very useful, it does point out some obvious things but has some really good stuff in there that I used at assessment centres
on 17 January 2012
Comprehensive, practical, encouraging and wise - John Lees' book on interviews would be the first I'd recommend. I've seen many careers books over the years, and this one stands out for its clever, non-patronising advice, tailored to anyone attending an interview - whether you're applying for your first job, are looking to switch jobs within a company, or are contemplating a move to somewhere else altogether. Lees knows all there is to know about the modern job market, and he has packaged his extensive knowledge into this useful guide. Don't hesitate to buy!
on 1 August 2015
As expected another great book - useful and sensible guidance.