on 26 October 2016
I've usually left very disappointed by the purchase of a business writing book. Too often they're frustratingly dull and full of irrelevant examples, this book however breaks the mold.

At 176 pages it's incredibly easy to read and very engaging. The sections on context (audience and medium) and concept (bringing your story to life) were really useful to me but the whole book featured so many nuggets that have helped my writing come on leaps and bounds.

I've now started to re-read it for the fourth time and in 2016 it's just as relevant as it was when it was first released.
on 7 October 2016
Excellent book on business writing.
Very easy to read; contains many memorable examples to reinforce the points.
on 5 April 2017
This book is an excellent resource if you want to improve (and enhance) your business writing. The book is very readable and you can dip into the chapters you want. I'm so glad I bought it.
on 18 September 2017
Well written.
on 27 March 2014
Atkins demonstrates an amazing ability to teach and engage through his writing which makes his recommendations more believable. This does not feel like a "text book", it is extremely engaging, direct and informative. It will work for both business writing, copywriting, public speaking etc. The principles can be applied to a variety of area. I am glad i made this purchase.
on 19 January 2012
I don't write many reviews, but this book is an excellent business resource and an excellent guide to writing of ANY kind.

Sections on audience and medium, `how to craft that draft' and `how to be irresistibly persuasive' were highlights for me. But in truth the whole book is impressive - it's an easy read without being lightweight and it sizzles along with stories and advice that stay with you. I know many people at my company whose writing would benefit from this book's learnings and I'll be quoting passages of it to them 'til they get the message!

One last thing: there are dozens of `essential examples' and `essential tips' flagged in shaded boxes throughout. This breaks up the main text really well and you can pick up quite a few ideas just by dipping into the book and browsing through them. Reading this one has encouraged me to buy others in the FT series - I just hope they're as good.
on 13 December 2016
I'm a senior manager at a large multinational and I bought this book because the ability to write well is an extremely useful business skill. And so it’s proved: to the point where other members of the senior leadership team are asking me to help with their written proposals!

Sadly there are still a few people who still think stodgy, long-winded, jargon-filled writing is ‘proper’ business writing - but those people are stuck in the past. With the advent of a more connected, always-on world, people don’t have time for the wordy waffle that used to pass for ‘business-speak'. This book shows you how you should be writing in business nowadays and I am the proof; countless people have told me how strong my written presentations, strategies and plans have been since I put some of the thinking in this book into action. And as I say, others are now asking for my help.

I recommended this book to them as I do to you; you won’t find a better guide to business writing for the fast-paced, cut-to-the-chase world we work in today.
on 31 August 2017
I found this book extremely unhelpful. Business writing encompasses a much broader spectrum than the whizz bang slogans of the advertising world. If you are writing a business project you need to be concise and plan your text, but glib, flashy, snappy short sentences do not cut ice. The managers want the facts presented in a clear manner and allow them to make decisions on hard and concise facts.
on 3 November 2011
This is a superbly-written book; if you're serious about your career then I can't recommend it enough. It's easy to read and cleverly structured - but most of all it's crammed FULL of useful knowledge. Page after page of little gem I hadn't seen or read anywhere else.

Honestly, it will make everything you write in business ten times better at a stroke. Well done Financial Times Essential Guides!
on 7 October 2016
I don't quite understand why this book has such good reviews here. I have tried to read it two times to try to convince myself that this is at least half as good as the reviews say it is.

As someone who has been in the business for over 10 years, regularly interacting with senior executives, I will not recommend this book to anyone who wants to work in the corporate world. This may be useful for someone in the creative marketing/advertising space but this book is certainly not appropriate for corporate business writing (in my view!).

To give an example, I am, sometimes, the audience for those propositions and memos directed at me to take action, approve or promote and so on. The book's language did not convince but instead annoyed me sufficiently that I made an effort to write a review. So, the author (master of the art!) has been unable to "persuade and engage" his main target audience in this instance. The book does not reflect the reality of the corporate world. Good luck in trying to write this way and getting ripped apart by the senior management!

I found it very weak on content, generalisations and out-of-touch of the reality of businesses. Most business executives expect the high-quality content with succinct and precise explanations to be able to make well-considered business decisions. This form does not leave much scope for generalisations and hyperboles. The writer needs to come across as confident and engaging but also balanced. This form of writing is different to the form of writing found in adverts and promos where businesses are trying to grab the attention of mass consumers. For me, business writing means the first form of writing, whereas it seems the book has been written from the point of view of the latter.

The book had some useful information nuggets for me but I am overall disappointed. There are much better books out there to help with business writing.