Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 November 2014
Great book, entertaining and bursting with tips based on real life experience. Already put a lot into practice in my day-to-day tasks at work. It's pure learning with a smile. Absolutely worth the investment.
on 15 November 2010
For many people, I imagine business writing is about as exciting as watching Christmas Day repeats with the in-laws. Most of us have to do it but it's no fun. Well, Neil Taylor's book does an admirable job of proving just the opposite. It's entertaining, engaging and informative. What's more, there are great tips to apply to other styles of writing. Credit should go to the publishers too because they seem to have got good, clean layout and design down to a fine art. Well worth buying. I'm sure I will dip into it again and again.
on 22 October 2013
Its been a long time since I found reading a business book such a pleasure. I appreciate that some reviewers didn't care for the tone - I liked it. I think I heard Neil Taylor's voice and enjoyed the structure and flow of the material. (see, I was paying attention)

If you want to take a serious look at your own writing, without taking yourself too seriously then give this a go. If not for yourself, then for your readers.
on 9 March 2009
I have read a lot of books in an attempt to improve my writing at work, this book I read in a couple of evenings, it is clear, makes sense and is applicable to my job whether it be making IT policy more understandable or the regular monthly report. Thank you.
on 1 March 2014
This book was disappointing. It never came through with anything concrete. I appreciate the intellect of the author (a Cambridge Linguistics graduate) but I think he is having a bit of a laugh with his recommendations. Advice such as: start sentences with 'And', 'So' and 'But'; not be afraid of using the words 'get' and 'really' and that it is fine to use words such as 'can't', 'don't' etc. These may be suitable for advertising and marketing but not sensible and serious business writing - as the book should be about. It covers sections of reports and report layouts but so do many other books. I was really hoping for something brilliant to happen but it just never did, despite all the promises of everything to come.
on 29 July 2014
For the first few years of my career as a communications professional this was my bible. I now manage others and make it compulsory reading for every member of my team.

However, this book is valuable to absolutely anyone wishing to communicate any message in a clear, concise and compelling way.
on 12 November 2012
I loved this book. It was so easy to read and understand. You can easily refer back to different sections when you need some inspiration.
I am surrounded by people who have been writing for longer than I have been alive and I find their business writing utterly boring. I have to proof read their work and I can barely keep my eyes open. I thought reading a book about business writing would send me over the edge but I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. Business writing has turned a corner since email has taken over and this book explains the basics perfectly. I will be reading it from cover to cover again and referring to it when looking for inspiration. I just wish my team would write more like this! Many thanks to Neil Taylor for writing this 'brilliant' book.
on 24 August 2010
This book is brilliant. It's better than the title suggests as the advice is useful for all kinds of writing.

There's a handy (but short) chapter on writing for powerpoint slides too.

Although it's only 220 pages, it would have helped me if there was an index.

Even so, this book is worth every penny.
on 3 January 2012
This is a book I use regularly to dip in and out of. I do a lot of business writing so some of the content in the book I was using already but there were lots of useful ideas too. I can think of many people who would benefit from this book, lots of us get stuck for words from time to time.

I like the style of the book, informal and funny and not like some boring 'how to' books. When I got it I read it right the way through as I would do for pleasure reading.

Looking forward now to Neil's next book.
on 4 September 2011
Excellent book which I wouldn't hesitate to recommend. It has some really useful tips and it has also given me the confidence to use my own writing style as well as write in a more conversational way as this is more likely to appeal to the reader.

I will definitely read it again.