Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 February 2010
This is the first book on NLP I actually enjoyed. The principles were explained quickly and easily and were a a pleasure to read. Of particular importance to me were the way the author stressed how if our beliefs are not in line with our goals we will self-sabotage. So for instance if someone doesn't believe they are worthy of the goal they're chasing they'll make sure they won't get it. Also that instead of waiting to be sprinkled by magic dust you need to actually get up and do something for things to change - even it goes wrong you get feedback from your experience that you can learn from. Granted - I agree with the other review here - the author did stray into pseudo science and chakras which detracted from the rest of the book, and also I thought maybe this book read a bit like a life coaching book. But I also thought it was full of good solid advice. If you want a good readable introduction to NLP, that you can instantly apply to your life, instead of a dry scientific read, then I would give this a go.
on 21 July 2008
I was hoping for a good introduction to NLP, and I suppose to complete newcomers to the personal development idiom this book would be an interesting and stimulating read.

But NLP? Not really... it's a very confused text, glossing over the fundamentals of NLP and introducing extraneous mysticism (chakras?) and other unwelcome self-help tosh, which is exactly what I was hoping to avoid. The author also seems a little confused as to her audience. The main part of the book is clearly aimed at personal (i.e. private) development, but then suddenly a chapter appears on feedback, which is very clearly business-focused.

I found the general thread of the book to be confused, slightly patronising, and full of the sort of fluffy and ill-explained language which plagues the majority of personal development books.

Or am I just in the "Grey Zone"??
on 29 August 2008
If you've read any other book on NLP, or even any more basic "self-help" book, then the contents of this book will be no surprise. Badly dlivered, formulaic, and there is nothing to make this book stand out from anything else on the shelf. (it only got 1 star because I couldn't give a 0).

Try SUMO by Paul McGee, or even Paul McKenna's Change Your Life in 7 days for the same stuff done much, much better
on 17 October 2009
This book contains odd bits of NLP - fine, that's what it says on the cover, but later strays right away from NLP and into Eastern mysticism and pseudo science.

One of the basic ideas of NLP is that we make our own representations of reality and changing those respresentations can change our reality - 'The map is not the territory' and all that. Here the author describes Chakras (for god's sake) as hard fact and, laughably, that because certain women can't express themselves, their throat chakras can get blocked, often leading to thyroid problems.

Furthermore, she quotes pseudo-science to back up many of her points. Twice she misquotes the 'Heisenberg principle' (sic) which she says 'proves' that nothing in life is certain. In fact, 'Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle' is a brilliant piece of mathematics within the sphere of particle physics (look it up it's quite beautiful if you're into mathematical physics. Her extrapolations from this into normal life are like saying that since you don't know the exact position and momentum of a sub-atomic particle you threfore don't know where your nose is. She simply doesn't know what she's talking about.

There are lots of good books abount NLP out there, this is not one of them. If you have a specific problem, Paul McKenna's books are mucy better and Richard Bandler's recent book 'Get the life you want' is better written, more authoritative and has everything NLP you get here and more ... but without the cobblers.

Poor.
on 10 September 2009
I am a NLP practitioner and Coach, this book is fantastic, the author explains in a way which is easy to understand and allows a novice to start making the changes they need to move forward in there lives. A must read.
on 17 August 2009
i have read many motivational books and consider this to be one of the best - easy to follow, practical steps that make you want to stop procrastinating and making excuses, and lead the life that you want to NOW. i found it empowering and made me realise that I have the control and responsibility for my happiness. can read in one go or dip in and out of; is very energising. a life-changer for me.
on 31 May 2009
the best thing about this book is really easy to read , very clear explanation and it can really help you to make little but important changement an arrangement in your life. I strongly recommend to everyone ,
if you feel little bit down or really down. Give a small chance to yourself again reading this book, you deserve it :)))
on 27 June 2008
What a great book! It gave me a real practical insight into NLP and how you can use the techniques to work for you.

I loved the style and the way it led you through the chapters. It was as if I had my own personal coach, explaining the theory, demonstrating how it can work and then, through the exercises, equipping me with the tools to put it into practice.

I can see how I can use this in all sorts of ways. It's really demystified NLP for me and I'm already using the techniques to take control and make the choices that work for me.

Thank you!
Having read a lot of NLP books in the past this one was pure inspiration. I really liked the fact that it related NLP techniques to practical everyday uses and that the author used many of her own insightful perspectives. This is an absolute 'must read' for anyone who is serious about changing their life for the better. I'm going to buy a copy for my entire team. Thank you Lindsey Agness - what other books have you got coming out?
on 17 November 2012
Lindsey explains the subject in a easily to understand and logical way. It is a nice flowing read and the reader is quickly eased into looking at themselves through thought provoking excerises. The book is presented in a way which opens this subject up to anybody who has a genuine desire to change however it does not shirk from dealing with key and potentially challenging issues that the reader must deal with along the way.

The message that it is our own responsibility to take greater control of our own lives needs to be amplified and this book allows anybody in any situation to start that process quickly and effectively . I would recommend this book for anybody who is not content with their lives and genuinely wants help to make the necessary adjustments to create a happier future for themselves.