on 18 April 2014
Although it's not a bad book, it did not live up to the expectations I got from reading amazon reviews. As far as I can see, the book starts out by replicating some of Richard Koch's insights on the 80/20 principles in the early chapters, then moves into the area of neuro-linguistic programming (NLP) in the middle chapters, and ends with several chapters replicating ideas from David Allen's Getting Things Done (GTD). In the middle of the book there is also a small discussion of the concept of FLOW. As none of these ideas are presented in a novel or insightful manner, perhaps the contribution of the book is primarily in showing that they can be fitted together. To me that was not much of a surprise, but perhaps the other reviewers knew next to nothing about 80/20, NLP, GTD and FLOW.

Another thing that surprised me about the book is the that an author who is also a fictional writer with contributions to films and television series to his credit and gives courses on creative writing can write something as sterile as this. While Richard Koch is an entrepreneur and investor who writes with great wit and charm on how to apply the 80/20 principles in all aspects of life, Jurgen Wolff is an artist who primarily writes about money, success and how think about oneself as a hero. As this was supposed to be written for right-brain people, I was expecting more examples in terms of painting, writing, filmmaking and such, but although Jurgen Wolff has a German name and has written a book primarily aimed at the UK market, he is an American. How anybody outside the USA would get inspired from reading something like this is beyond me. Perhaps Wolff could have written an interesting book on focus and creativity, like Robert Fritz's "Path of least resistance", but by framing it in terms of money, success and "the hero's journey" at least he would have needed to focus more on authenticity in such issues to gain credibility.

The best thing about the book, as I see it, are the cartoon illustrations made by Wolff himself. At least these drawings indicate that he is a creative person at heart, and not only a consultant trying to build a business from a half-hearted attempt to mix well-known ideas like 80/20, NLP, GTD and FLOW. In the case of 80/20 and NLP, there are some references to books that will explain the ideas in a better way. There were no references to David Allen and GTD, as far as I could see, but perhaps Wolff isn't aware of Allen or, alternatively, he sees no need for reference due to the popularity of GTD. In the case of FLOW, Wolff briefly mentions Csikszentmihalyi, but there are no references to any of his books or scientific papers.
on 10 November 2010
All I can really say about the book is that if you use the techniques and tips it recommends that you will manage your time much better.

I particularly liked the alter ego strategy (which I haven't seen anywhere else) and the ideas on how to actually overcome procrastination.

It's very easy to read and doesn't have the "fluff" normally found in these types of books.
on 9 December 2011
I bought this book and then didn't actually read it for a while. I guess that proves I didn't have much focus!

Anyway, once I started reading, I enjoyed it and now I use about half a dozen of the techniques in it. One thing that's improved is that I used to be late for everything and now I'm on time. Well, usually.

I also used to procrastinate a lot more but now I actually enjoy the feeling of freedom when I get things done that I was avoiding.

If you're looking for a good read with a lot of practical information and none of those naff made-up case studies you usually get in self-improvement books, you'll like this one.
on 5 May 2010
My first book review ever! Hey this book is working !
Some really good getting things / right things done advice. Just one example for you... You have a task ..something you want to avoid or is seen as a pain. Well say to yourself ' i will take the first step ..just the first action..i can always decide to go no further after that first step..
Now I have tried this and it worked for me.Got me doing what i needed to do. There are loads of tips in this book that actually work.Check it out!
on 29 March 2010
I'm one of those people who muti-tasks to the point where on some days, nothing actually gets done. This book was a gift and initially viewed with some cynicism. But, it has to be said, even for someone as easily distracted as me - it held my attention right the way through.

In particular i liked the Chapter that shows you how to put the principles into ACTION!

What's more I'm now finding myself better organised - it's like the book installed a 'focus virus' in my brain whilst I was reading.

Why not buy a copy and see if it can do the same for you?
on 13 October 2013
I love this book for three reasons: it is practical, simple to understand and most importantly it changed my life. I wanted to sharpen my focus but I didnt want to go for a £1000 conference. I bought this book and it is working wonders in improving my focus. I would suggest to Jurgen to make the newer edition more graphical. It really help with focus.
on 19 July 2014
I attended one of Jurgens screenwriting courses so I knew this book would be good because he just has the vibe of someone who has 'got it all together' and I'm really chuffed I read this book. It was really useful and enjoyable to read. So thank you Jurgen!
on 6 July 2013
Enjoyed the book which really concentrated on the day to day behavioural aspects of focus and possibly could have included more science around attentional processing and concentration and how these cognitive skills could also be developed
on 25 March 2010
I don't normally do reviews but I'll break that habit in this case as this book is uncommonly good at what it does. I would describe myself as quite action orientated but this book shows how to target your actions with more savoir faire than might otherwise b the case.
on 22 October 2013
Wolff takes a different approach from other authors and offers good advice from a creative's perspective. Very useful and entertaining book!