on 10 June 2012
I was looking for a book that I could recommend to my business consultancy clients and after a huge amount of research came across this book. I read all the reviews and the book description but wondered if it could really be that good! I wasnt disappointed as when it arrived I discovered it was a book you could both read from cover to cover and also use as an exhaustive reference tool for customer care. I have now added it to my recommended reading list for my business startup clients and business growth consultancy clients. I wouldnt hesitate to recommend this to anyone, especially those that even think they know it all as its a comprehensive reminder and will also bring you bang up to date too with a mountain of ideas, tools and methods of improving your customer service and hence gaining more clients then retaining them!!!
on 19 July 2017
After reading quite a few amazing books on Customer Service ( two from Lee Cockerell ), and " The Customer Driven Company " . I also read a quite good amount on Leadership and strategy, it was quite bellow my expectations. Sorry, too simple for me...
on 3 September 2016
Interesting book. Full of ideas of how to improve including continous improvement techniques.
on 6 August 2017
Great book, a must have!! Love this book :) Great seller.
VINE VOICEon 13 January 2015
I had the CDs of 5 Star Service, but sadly I must have lent them to someone and not received them back, so when I wanted to introduce the partners at my current firm to Michael Heppell’s excellent ideas, I had to resort to buying them the book. This has the advantage of introducing some new stories, as we are on to the second edition, and while I can hear Michael Heppell’s rich Geordie accent reading out many of them, it won’t be quite the same thing for the others. (And besides, it’s hard enough to get the partners to listen to an audio book, let alone actually read one!)

So while I would really, absolutely and unequivocally recommend that you snap up the CDs if you find them in a charity shop or when Mr Heppell gets around to re-recording them, I merely unequivocally recommend that you buy this book.

Written in an informal and lively way – many of the sentences are I think the very same ones that he reads on the audiobook – I am hard-pressed to think of any significant area of customer service that he doesn’t cover. He covers psychology of client service (without I think ever needing to use that word) and numerous techniques both to deal with customers and to build a customer service culture in an organisation. Its practical advice, grounded in common sense, but I doubt that many academics would be able to pick faults with it. He tells stories – the EasyJet flight back to Newcastle is my favourite – he proposes simple models, like “RADAR thinking” and the Service Star, and he populates the book with numerous simple techniques – the wee wows – to throw into the mix. At the end of the book – and this is something you didn’t get on the audio – he proposes how the book might be used as part of an in-house training programme, with slightly different programmes for five organisational types.

This is a great book. But, Mr Heppell, get out the tape recorder and make another audiobook as well!
on 28 June 2013
Great tips for anyone, doesn't matter which kind of area are you working or not working. You'll start notice things about how people service you and how important it really is - for any kind of situation in life. SERVICE really does come first!
on 16 January 2017
Excellent book of common-sense principles not commonly applied
on 7 February 2011
I read this book twice in one week. I have been on a two year sabbatical from working and I am preparing to get back into the retail service industry again. The first time I read the book it was to just take in all the wonderful information and become super excited about giving exceptional service again. The second time I read it and made notes about how I was going to use the information to inspire my staff to have the same passion for service as I do. This book provides instant gratification. I can start using the principles in my professional and personal life immediately. It is not complicated which is the true beauty of the book. As an American living and working in Norway, I look forward to bringing a new level of service to a country where in my opinion 5 star service has yet to be discovered.
on 13 September 2013
So simple, so easy, so intuitive this is a must read book for anyone who gets within 20m of a customer. No matter what service you give to whom it is a must read. A pick up and put down book that to be honest you cannot put down. I am using this to inspire, challenge, motivate and above all improve my team and it's working. Thanks Mr H! :-)
on 6 May 2011
I bought this book during one of my many hours spent in an airport! It total captivated and inspired me and is certainly something that everyone could benefit from reading. I could not put it down and read it all in one night, then I read it again to help me prepare for an important job interview, then I felt that I had to share it with my management team and now it is embedded into our organisation and really is a must have.

Pure and total brilliance, written in a fun and informative way. I will be seeking out all other Micheal Heppell books now.