Customer reviews

Reading and Understanding the Financial Times
Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 October 2016
This is a fantastic book. As a finance student, I need to read FT regularly but honestly most of the time I did not know what I was reading. And I usually have nothing to conclude or comment. But this book tells me how to effectively and efficiently absorb information on FT. It provides a lot of hints about where to begin to read and how to extract useful things from different parts.
on 4 July 2017
It cannot be read on your kindle or cloud reader. You would need your smartphone of tablet to read this. Content of the book itself is very useful.
on 18 July 2017
This is an amazing guide book to understand step by step about FT. It is worth reading every chapter.
on 13 March 2008
This book played an instrumental role in landing me various placements at international law firms. As a law student my exposure to the business and commercial world was not extensive enough to cater for the "commercial awareness" demands of corporate law firms, but this book helped me grasp the key concepts of business and finance and be able to talk about them. The use of real-life articles and frequent examples demonstrating the key ideas is really helpful when applying the ideas to new situations, as was required in the interviews. The books is also very easy to read, maintaining the reader's interest unlike some of the more heavy-going textbooks in this area. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who needs to learn about the corporate world, the interplay between the different professional sectors (for example business and law) or even those who wish to develop their understanding of business. Fantastic!
on 14 March 2008
If you have ever opened up the financial times and felt overwhelmed by all the jargon then this book is for you. This book will give you a short introduction to a number of major topics in the financial world, such as mergers and acquisitions and private equity. In the process of giving you this quick introduction the author will also equip you with all the tools you need to do further reading on that topic. This is done by explaining all the relevant jargon and referring you to other resources which will further expand your understanding.

The book is split up into a number of bite size chapters, none of which take more than an hour to read. Each chapter begins with a couple of articles on a given topic, taken directly from the financial times. Following this the author "translates" this text into plain English, explaining and defining all the relevant jargon in the process. At the end of each chapter a number of textbook style questions and practical exercises are provided, along with a list of further reading. Links to the author's excellent podcast are also provided.

This book is useful not only to those wishing to quickly learn how to read and understand the financial times (as the title suggests), but also to those looking for a concise introduction to the workings of the financial world. Knowledge gleaned from reading this book would also prove very useful to students applying for jobs in the city.
on 16 November 2011
Reading the Financial Times is something I always knew I should do, but somehow I couldn't bring myself to try and read articles that I wouldn't understand.
After getting an interview for an FMCG company, I finally forced myself to start reading the Financial Times to pick up some knowledge on what was going on in the world economy. However, the first attempt was unsuccessful, so I trawled the internet for some help and came across this book by Kevin Boakes. I decided to make the investment so that I could finally buy the Financial Times in my newsagents without feeling nervous.

Even though I study economics, I still found all the financial theory interesting (I found out just how many gaps I had in my knowledge!) and not in the least bit patronising. The case studies were really interesting, and in general, the book taught me how I could get the most out of the Financial Times for my own personal use. There really is something for everyone in this book and I thoroughly recommend it.

I now look forward to my Financial Times purchases, rather than fearing them! Don't miss out - buy this book now!
on 22 October 2012
Since the great banking crisis, I have become more 'consciously incompetent' about equities, bonds and the markets: I know what I don't know. This admirable text is a clear cut beginners' guide, a sort of York / Brodie / Cliff notes, which explains the language, dramatis personae and the plot of the financial drama that's unfolding every day, impacting us all. Supported by excellent podcasts too.
on 16 November 2011
This book is an incredibly useful guide to accessing the wealth of fantastic material in the Financial Times. It played a central role in my preparation for investment banking interviews (and I'm sure would be handy for anyone applying to similar "City" careers - law, consulting etc). Not only is it useful for deciphering the jargon that appears in the FT but it also provided a vast amount of information about financial markets in its own right.

The structure makes the whole book really accessible. Small chapters allow you to cover a whole area on a train journey home or in a spare half hour, while the use of real FT articles gives the jargon-busting some added applicability. Furthermore, the questions at the end of each chapter are useful to get oneself in the mindset for dealing with interviews where commercial awareness is tested.

In short, this book was a big factor in helping me get both a summer internship and a graduate job.
on 16 November 2011
Having applied for lots of commercial law placements all the advice pre interview was about reading the financial times and getting to grips with the big debates of the financial world. However,as a historian I found the jargon and content assumed a basic level of knowledge which I just didn't have; this book very clearly and simply sets out how to approach articles critically and in their proper context- a great read for anyone on the internship hunt.
on 26 August 2008
Having contemplated buying this book i can safely say it is definately an invaluable book whether your already working in the financial industry, an undergraduate (such as myself) or just have an interest in understanding the murky world that it the city.

Chapters focus on specific FT articles with detailed analysis to decipher technical jargon and key terms. For myself the best feature of the book is the fact that the author Kevin Boakes provides an insider's view and self-review questions which provides the opportunity for self-study and a crucial book for reference ahead of lectures and exams.

Finally there are Boakes provides web-based activities and online web content to support the publication as well as downloadable podcasts, which is a welcomed changed for students who wish to use a variety of web-based and other media rather than be restricted to to written texts

If your hestitating aobut buying this book dont, its a must have if your considering a career in finance or business related area.