on 18 May 2017
Fabulous book. I am doing a part-time psychology degree with the open university and although they are great at teaching statistics in a simple manner, I found this book a great additional resource just to explain things a different way. More so because I actually like the maths and needed more help in understanding it without the maths!
on 16 March 2017
very helpful for my psychology degree and also has information about spss which is good
on 7 September 2014
Very good book if you struggle with SPSS. I would have failed and never got my statistics done if it wasn't for this book. Highly recommended to me by a statistics lecturer. Easy to follow and makes the job simple.
on 14 December 2011
I found an earlier edition of this book during my first year undergraduate degree at UCL, and it totally changed the way I looked at statistics. I owe a lot to the authors who have explained statistics in such a way that I am able to actually use the tools of statistics as opposed to worrying too much about the formulas.

I was able to built up a knowledge of working examples which then helped me interpret the formulas later on. A must have for those who want to "feel" statistics, who want to develop their data "intuition".
on 29 April 2017
well explained
on 18 March 2015
Great book. Contains everything you need to know
on 19 September 2017
It's an incredible helpful book. I love it!
on 1 September 2013
People rate this book highly but I found it overly wordy and confusing. The step by instructions for SPSS were handy though if you are using this software for the first time.

Would I recommend this book? Not if you are looking for a straightforward explanation of the concepts. What should take 10 minutes to explain takes the authors 20 pages and 4 hours of reading and figuring out what they mean. The examples are poorly conceived and the text is verbose.

If you are trying to scrape through a stats module for some humanities course and have no concept of maths at all then this might help you feel you are not alone in your confusion. I don't know if it would help you become confident in stats and feel excited about designing and analysing your own investigations.

They make a big thing of presenting "statistics without the maths". The good thing about maths is that it is concise. This book isn't.
on 29 October 2001
I am currently using this book as I am studying psychological research methods at MSc level. I am relieved to have found this particular text as I am in the position of returning to postgraduate study, with virtually no memory of, and even less understanding regarding statistical tests, left over from my undergraduate psychology degree. The authors of this book appear to recognise the need for clearly outlining the concepts of statistical analysis, illustrating them through simple, every day examples, and guiding the reader through the practical application of analysis (using SPSS for Windows version 10). This clear, consise, step by step approach, without a mathematical formula in sight really does replace the familiar feelings of dread and intimidation, with confidence and motivation to use and understand statistical tests. You are also encouraged to test your knowledge with multiple choice questions and mini assesments at the end of each chapter, which are extremely useful ways of keeping track of your understanding. Also, the authors have highlighted the debate surrounding hypothesis testing, encouraging the reader to understand, and make use of confidence intervals and effect size rather than simply focusing on probability values. There is also an accompanying web site which contains all the example data sets used in the book.
I would most definitely encourage tutors to place this book on the reading list of every psychology undergraduate and postgraduate degree course, and I'm sure that it would be a welcome and valuable guide to anyone carrying out psychological research.
on 25 January 2011
A good introductory book to statistics, which enables the reader to understand the basic statistical analyses covering most tests taught on an undergraduate statistics course in psychology. However, some tests are not covered to the depth needed to understand the results. For example, the interpretation of the two-way chi-square is very difficult following the instructions in this book and understanding why this is a test of association is glossed over. I would recommend the book to a student struggling with understanding basic statistical concepts, but there are other and better books of basic statistics available at a similar price.