on 27 July 2005
I'm a mature psychology student and researched all sorts of social psychology books online for my degree course. This book looked interesting enough and the table of contents swayed me to buy the book.
When I received it I was impressed by the lay out and 4-colour of the book. It covers all the basics of social psychology.
HOWEVER,
the style the book is written in is too complex and advanced for a person new to the field. My vocabulary is by no means bad but I found this book to be a tad too articulate. Explanations of theories can be written in a more simple and contructive way than this book.
My advise is to look at other major texts in the field. Rather pick this one up as reference text later down the line when your social psychology knowledge is more advanced...
22 comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 January 2006
I am a second year Psychology student, who had not studied psychology previous to university. I was looking for a general textbook to cover my social psychology modules.
The layout of this book is pretty good and it covers a large range of topics. Unfortunately I found this book almost impossible to read, it's far to complicated for someone just starting out. As a reference aid I imagine it would be very useful, but if it's intended to introduce topics and provide a basis for understanding, then I would look elsewhere.
Frustrating to read- Almost impossible without already possesing a good level of knowledge- especially concerning psychological and scientific terms
VINE VOICEon 8 September 2006
This is probably a bit heavy for someone who has never studied psychology before, but as my degree covers a lot of the topics my A Level covered I am finding it invaluable. It is full of references to studies so it is great as a stepping stone to further research for coursework etc. Also, it is the only book that is also on the reading list for my second year.
on 12 November 2006
As far as text books go this must be one of the dullest I have ever had to use. They say never judge a book by its cover, but in this case I think the cover says it all. The empty chairs are a clear indication that anyone who has had to endure the pretentious babble of Hogg and Vaughan will be up and running out of the room to escape their overly complex explanations of relatively simple theories.

I would urge anyone who is looking for a text book on social psychology to look elsewhere. This book is totally amateurish, with its numerous typos and even chunks of texts that are missing!!! It makes you wonder if even the editor and publishers were so bored by the book that they gave up doing their job properly.

At a recommended retail price of £32.99 it is daylight robbery!
on 6 May 2006
As a first year nursing student, I got this book from our library as it was one of several recommended for a particular essay on communication.

I have studied psychology at a 1st year university level in the past, but my books were all outdated so used this book as it appeared most relavent. I liked the layout and the book does look impressive.

However, I felt the writing style is overly complex and very difficult to follow, unless the reader has an indepth previous knowledge of the subject.

My advise to any fellow students would be to use this book if it is recommended by all means, but get it from the library and buy yourself something more accessible. This is is very much NOT the book for beginers.
on 20 January 2014
Book arrived quickly and in really good condition, really helped with my exams and was really useful as the library didn't have any copies left
on 7 December 2011
I use this book as part of my psychology course, 2nd year. I love it, it has helped all my assignments and very very detailed!
on 5 February 2013
Good book to use for psychology degrees. Really simple to understand, and very useful for quotes and citing in essays.
on 19 September 2015
Very useful for my uni studies, and reasonably priced compared to other retailers for this book
on 29 July 2014