Customer reviews

on 9 January 2010
I had the opportunity to read this book before publication and am pleased to return to it now it's in its published form. Pearsons have done an attractive job in the book's presentation: its size, paper quality, print face, layout and format, diagrams and images - all combine to make it a nice book to work with in the hand. Andrew has achieved something rare in his writing. He has articulated many of the relational qualities and priorities of coaching - something that I believe much of the literature in the field avoids doing because it is so hard. For example, he describes the importance of the coach's own relationship with him or herself; he presents an image or tool of three `eyes' that can be used in coaching (analytical, appreciative and creative) and explores the qualities of coaching mastery. All of these support us in understanding and reaching deeper qualities of coaching. This is a book that I will want to return to again and again.
on 14 April 2010
on first reading this book I must acknowledge that I was entering a new and quite alien area relating to my work as a senior academic in health and social care education within the University sector. I though it relevant as a book title as coaching as a concept has only recently being applied in the context of inter-professional studies and working in health and social care. What I find exciting about this book is its application to experienced practitioners, policy- makers, educationalists and healthcare students who want to make a difference to the extent that I have included this book as a core text for my students.The importance of inter professional , multi professional and inter sectoral working has been a live topic for debate within health and social care for well over a quarter of a century. However this book offers something new and innovative to the debate. It helps readers to understand health and social care agendas and their career development within these areas. It discusses a wide range of themes and skills relevant to contemporary practice and how these sit within modern day systems. It aims to engage the reader in thoughtful and sensitive application to their own learning, professional development and most important to their practice and knowledge base. From an academic and student perspective this book is both inspiring and exciting.Chapter 3 - the vision of the coach is of particular importance to health and social care practice and education. It enlightens us to apply the principles of the three 'eyes'to clinical situation where client centred practice is crucial. Understanding the analytical, appreciative and creative eyes I feel has transformed the way in which I facilitate learning and teaching in health and social care. I also firmly believe that in the real world of clinical practice my students have effectively been able to apply some of the Andrew's concepts in order to facilitate positive change both in their own professional development and attitude and in the quality of care to service users and their carers. I am indebted to this book.
on 19 April 2010
The author recently gave a guest lecture on the Occupational Therapy course I am about to complete. The session was insightful and gave a new perspective on how to communicate and work effectively with clients and colleagues alike. On reading the book I can see this is going to be a useful addition to my professional toolbox as I move into the world of health and social care. The book is easy to read and visually appealing and I encourage health care professionals to read it.
on 9 June 2010
This is one of those books that I'm drawn to time and time again, and each time I pick it up I discover something new and insightful about myself as coach.
I recommend it whole heartedly.
on 13 April 2010
A thought provoking blend of theory, broad experience and practical example. The pause points in the text work well to prompt the reader to consider their own views on key questions and so engage more fully with the author's ideas. The importance of authenticity to successful coaching is well emphasied and there is a backbone of authenticity running throughout the book. The author pulls together a range of insightful thoughts and ideas about coaching to interest and inform anyone keen to expand their coaching ability.
I greatly enjoyed reading the book and it will be an invaluable reference for the future.
on 17 March 2013
As someone who has been a coaching practitioner for more than 20 years and who has a library of coaching literature, I seriously consider this to be one of the best coaching manuals that I've read - believe me, I've read more than a few!!
If you're looking for something to extend your practice, I can certainly recommend this book. Go buy it!
on 18 April 2010
This is an excellent 'reference' book, filled with practical and thoughtful hints and tips based on the author's 20 years of experience as well as an understanding of the methodology and thinking he personally employs.

Do not be fooled, this is not a 'simple' book, it provides insight to all of us, whomsoever you are and whatever your respective role. Whether you are a coach yourself, a 'client'/'coachee', or an impartial reader you will find a richness of text written in a style that is uniquely Andrew's.

It helps those new to the coaching profession to have confidence and insight into the coaching 'process' and to those who are experienced coaches, knowledge of how the field is evolving. If, like me, you are not a coach, it provides personal insight and enables thoughtful reflection of one's own experiences, responses and reactions to certain situations.

It is a book packed with personal insights and experiences, it is a pleasure to have been asked by Andrew to review it and speak at his recent book launch.

Coaching is not a quick fix nor an occupation to be entered into lightly. However, this book unlocks the secret of how it is possible to become an exceptional coach.
on 27 March 2010
What I like about this book is that while it covers all the basics, it also gives a sense of the personality and authenticity of the writer. He's modeling what the best coaches do--they offer not only their knowledge but also whatever makes them unique as individuals. The author's diagrams and photos are a great touch that helps set the book apart from the big bunch of coaching books that are all pretty much alike. Recommended!
on 26 December 2009
I have recently had the pleasure of re-reading Andrew's book and wish to encourage all of those interested in enhancing their coaching practice to accept the invitation offered in this remarkable text. After considering the key elements of the 'coaching framework', traditionally categorised as the 'what' of coaching, Andrew invites the reader to reflect upon the nature of what he calls the 'coaching enigma', that blend of fact and mystery that combines to enable coaches to become more masterful in their professional capacity.

The reader is invited to consider a number of key questions that relate to their own approach to coaching and is offered an enlightening perspective on each. In the chapter on 'Why we coach', Andrew introduces the idea that, through a greater awareness of one's own source of learning and power, the coach can help to guide a client towards their potential and a more sustained change. He introduces a fascinating concept of the '3D vision' of the coach based on three quite different ways of seeing: an analytical eye (from the viewpoint of a detached observer), the appreciative eye (which adopts the viewpoint of an inner observer that looks at reality from the 'inside-out') and the creative eye (linked to our deeper identity, the source from which our values, aspirations and qualities originate). This concept I found illuminating from an intellectual point of view but Andrew takes it one step further - he describes his approach using Case Studies to show the work of a masterful coach in practice, detailing real life conversations that demonstrate the application of this '3D vision' and its beneficial impact. The inclusion of metaphors and analogies to illustrate his thinking leads the reader to those 'ah-ha' experiences - I found myself saying 'I get it', with a growing confidence that I might be able to tap into this awareness in my own coaching situations.

Andrew uses the metaphors of the lens, mirror and compass and describes in more practical detail how these may be applied in the coaching relationship. These essential tools are not a prescribed 'process model' of coaching but a reference point for the coach to be conscious of when working with a client. Andrew extends his approach even further by including an exploration of three different identities: the ego, inner observer and original self which represent the viewpoints of the analytical, appreciative and creative eyes, mentioned above, respectively. He guides the reader towards becoming a masterful coach by examining these different coaching selves and how they each influence our coaching practice. The beauty of this book is that it helps the reader to realise that, if they dare, they can learn to trust their ability to discover more about themselves, so enabling them to be in a more productive relationship with their client.

Andrew describes the many roles of the coach and how these emerge in the coaching relationship. He also reflects on the importance of fallibility, an acceptance of which enables us to be more compassionate and authentic in our approach. I found this particularly helpful as there can be an expectation that we should `get it right' all the time.

As well as using metaphors and analogies to illustrate his ideas, Andrew has included some of his artwork and poetry. The simplicity of these encourages a deeper self reflection and enhances an understanding of what is contained in the text. I had the same experience when I read Andrew's first book," Just Beyond the Visible", in which he used imagery and poetry to support people in the process of organisational change.Just Beyond the Visible: The Art of Being and Becoming

Andrew's book offers a new perspective to the coaching literature. I have re-read parts of the book since my first reading and am astonished that I continue to find new relevance and meaning in the text. It is a joy to read. If you are intrigued to discover how you might enhance your practice as a coach, then I highly commend this inspiring book to you.
on 24 March 2010
This book is, in my opinion, a "must have". Not only is a book for those working in the field of coaching but a perfect inspiration for anyone interested in getting more out of and giving more to life.