on 16 October 2017
Hello Amazon!

While I am just checking the delivery option,you generate invoice with one click as if I bought.Please give me back my money since I don't need the book.

Melaku
on 1 August 2010
This is a book to dip in and out, very useful if you are involved or about to start a project, has all the useful information in an easy to read format. Almost like a hand book with useful pointers to project steps.
VINE VOICEon 29 December 2009
I can't add much to the other reviews of this. An excellent short book on "best practice" by authors who have been there & done it.
on 21 June 2009
This was the first project management book that I have purchased. I selected this book based on the other reviews, and I can say that I am extremely glad that I selected this book.

The book is laid out in nice managable chunks, the style is easy to read and it made what could be a dry subject interesting indeed.

There are some handy tips on what to do and what to avoid, where to focus your attention and some handy check lists.

Whilst there is no specific reference to PM methods such as Prince2, I do believe that the useful advice in this book, can be applied.

If you are involved in project management, then this book will prove to be a handy companion at work, to help you and your projects.
on 21 December 2010
The title claims Brilliant Project Management which could be misleading, but to be fair does a reasonable job of bringing in real world examples as you progress through each chapter. What the book is not though, is a comprehensive reference to Project Management, so if you are looking for that then look elsewhere!

One thing that grabbed me was the style of writing which makes it very easy to read - its almost captivating at times!

To be fair, the book never sets out to teach you to be a brilliant Project Manager, but what it does, it does well - namely takes a light hearted, jargon free approach to the subject. It doesn't get bogged down in the technical or procedural aspects of Project Management. Instead, as you read you think 'well, surely that's obvious' and more often than not there is something in there that you can relate to!

Overall, an easy read that sows a few seeds for future work and highlights a few 'gotchas' along the way. It really is worth a couple of quid, but its not a complete reference to the subject.
on 8 September 2009
This book is well-written and concise. It is not affiliated to any particular methodology and therefore establishes the principles, in a well organised book, supporting a structured approach which works.
on 21 July 2009
Having read the excellent reviews of this book, I was pretty excited about receiving it. One of my keyobjective in buying this book was to learn HOW TO schedule and manage projects.

It lists the areas that a project plan should contain and describes these, which is quite useful, but nowhere in teh book does it offer advice on how to create a schedule (what some would call a project plan) to show the various tasks, how they interlink timecales, dates etc. In fact, it doesn't even consider teh various project management tools such as MS project etc. I found this a very disappointing omission.

I give it 2 stars as for someone wihtout any experiece of running or working with a project, the descrioptions of various stages would be a useful insight, but there are better books out therethan this and my copies going to a cahrity shop.

So, in summary, a decent basic introdution to some of the major concepts and lots of common sense - fo examle a section telling you why it's important to get people to turn upto meetings. If the book had described itself as a basic introduction to the principles, I'd have given it 3 or 4 stars.
on 22 June 2017
A fantastic no fuss guide to step-by-step project management. Can be a bit traditional at times but this is very good advice with zero jargon and a lot of real life examples of situations and how to tackle them. You'll never feel out of place as PM after reading this.
on 5 November 2011
Barker and Cole must be commended on such an excellent book.

It is packed full of hard-won experience, wisdom, tools and techniques, that you can immediately and practically apply to help succeed in project management. There is so much more than theory here. It is full of real-world relevance.

From my own experience this has been a continually useful resource since I bought the first edition in 2007. In fact, is it the envy of all my other project management books.

The content, format and structure of the book makes it instantly accessible. You can read it from start-to-finish, or dip into any section you want to read up on. The index is spot-on too.

Everyone who is interested or engaged in projects would do well to own this book. I cannot recommend it highly enough.
on 27 April 2012
I really liked the author's message and writing style. I have studied a lot in this area and have written several proposals. I thought his suggestions helpful and I used his outline for a proposal submitted to U.S. government.