on 12 November 2010
I have a 2 year old boy who has struggled with eating since he started solids at 6 months. Unrealistically I was wanting this book to give me a solution to the difficulties but there is not a magic wand! I unfortunately did not learn much new but it did give me some reassurance that we weren't doing anything 'wrong'.
on 18 December 2007
Promoting healthy eating habits amongst children is an ongoing concern and this book certainly helps to steer you in the right direction. It's a well thought through book and gives advice on just about everything from more serious issues to lighthearted ways of encouraging healthy eating. There's a really useful part in one of the end chapters which gives you ideas on healthy eating activities - everything is worth a try with my two!
on 17 September 2007
There are quite a few books out there about healthy eating and recipes for kids. This was the first book i've found that also covers the way we programme our kids by the way we feed them, and the contribution this makes to their health as adults. For example if you always make your kids eat everything on their plate, you set them up to become adults who are in danger of overeating. I found this book readable and informative and i would recommend it to all parents.
on 4 February 2010
good book, it actually made me realise that my kids don't eat that badly after all. Its a short book, you'll have it finished in no time but has some good tips and advice
on 6 September 2007
Just what I needed to bring a bit of calmness to our usually hectic mealtimes. One of my kids eats way too fast, the other just picks at her food, so it can get pretty stressful . But this had good tips on how to get them eating more 'normally', and I am a bit more relaxed. It also tells you how to get them eating healthy food without force-feeding them broccoli.
on 14 September 2009
As a mother of 3 pre-school children I often find meal times a battleground and have found this book extremely helpful with lots of excellent tips (eg how to hide vegetables) and common sense advice. The book is presented in a very useable format (bullet point lists etc). The book is a useful reference point to highlight the changing dietary needs through the first 5 years (for example I have now realised that my toddler was consuming far too much milk and I now understand the impact this has had on the rest of his diet). Furthermore it includes some useful advice for school dinners and packed lunches and has made me take a good look at snacks that I previously considered "healthy" and indeed found that this is not always the case.
on 2 July 2009
This book is well laid out and covers every aspect of one of the most anxiety inducing topics of parenting. It encompasses babyhood right through to primary school children - invaluable as different eating issues can crop up at any age. It is packed with information about nutritional values and food groups to silence inquisitive pre-schoolers as well as practical hints and tips. As the mother of three this book has armed me with an invaluable tool in the minefield that is healthy eating, whilst gently reminding that it should and can be fun. A must read for any parent who cares about their child's diet and eating habits.