on 7 August 2015
Too much focus on Functional CV, which isn't the best for everyone.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 July 2011
This book is almost 160 pages on how to write a CV and has very little information on how to write the cover letter. 160 pages makes it very complex and I am not sure if thats necessary.

I did spend an enormous time creating my CV and was very excited to what it would bring me in the end. Seven months of unemployment and still going I get rejected over and over again. Some could criticize my experience to be the case but fellow students got jobs without this book.

Still looking for an answer why my CV didn't work I recently send it to an expert who criticized it and there was a lot to change. This book apparently didn't send a strong enough message to me about how to make my CV work. I have a academic background so understanding complex things is not a problem for me.

I see this book as being a typically how to book that is very difficult to apply and there is really not one way to make a CV. This book will not make it easier for you to write your CV. I used a whole week applying what this teaches and the expert did not find my CV any better than the typical CV she was presented to.

I would say that you should save your money and just google CV's and make your own from that template. When done, find some free service and get some criticism.
on 22 July 2006
This is not a straight forward simple CV book. More emphasis given to the personal promise section. After reading through the sections breifly i still feel it won't catch the eyes of a potential employer. I think CV writting should be made simple for people from all walk of life to understand. I have the feeling that the book targets people from educated and professional background not for some one who is looking for job after A - Levels. They should have included more variety of CV's for different type of jobs.
on 14 May 2010
A helpful but one-sided book about how to create a 'modern' CV. Has a really good approach but can often get overly complex in describing what are fundamentally simple methods. If I was editing it I'd keep the base information and cut all the jargon to simplify the core message which is very sound.
on 26 March 2006
My story is simple, I'm an MBA student and I sent my CV out to over 15 companies hoping for an interview and didn't get one. After reading and applying the principles found in "PITCH YOURSELF" I've sent my CV to 6 companies, so far, and I have been invited to 6 to interviews!
"Pitch Yourself" drove me to totally reexamine the way I approached the CV process. First, it began with the need to really understand myself, who I am, in order to uncover my competencies. Second, I had to forget everything I thought I knew about CV's, listing my accomplishments, utilizing elaborate wording in order to impress the reader, hoping that the reader would assume I could accomplish similar success in the new position. Instead I reoriented the proposition of my CV from what I had done to what I will do, based on my competencies.
My success has caused quite the stir at my school because of the obvious power that this book possesses.
You will stand out from the crowd and you will offer the reader tangible evidence of the abilities you will deliver by positively answering the crucial question every CV reviewer has, "What do you offer me?"