Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos

on 31 July 2009
This book does not help in anyway creating a highly effective marketing plan. It does not offer a planning process at all. It's a vague collection of thoughts on marketing planning but does not provide any tool for planning. Let's take for instance step 5: learn what your customers think and do. Key points: (i) learn what your targets think about you and your products (Mr. Knight, that makes sense, but what tools or process do you offer to do this? Do you provide a framework?). (ii) If you don't know for certain, carry out research (Mr. Knight, good idea, indeed, but what kind of research? How to do it in-house? Should we use projective techniques and why?). (iii) If you're brand new or unknown, then what do your targets think about your competitors (Mr Knight, sorry that's not enough... Some qualitative research and BPTO can help provide more information about what you do when you're new or unknown and competitors should always be looked at as well).

Saying in large and vague words "you should do this" but providing no process or tools for doing so is not a "proven practical planning process for companies". I'm not saying Mr Knight should re-write Malcolm McDonald's great book called Marketing Plans, but Mr Mc Donald's quick reference chapter (30 pages in total) give more input, tools and process than this book. Marketing is complex... it can be simple... but this book is too simplistic. Useless in my opinion.
on 2 June 2004
At last someone has managed to devise a simple way in which to develop a marketing plan. Throw away those 50 page marketing strategy documents that you have been meaning to complete for the last 6 months (and that no one understands) and go through the 15 steps that make up HEMP. We always know what we want, but getting there is a different story, however with HEMP you will have a concise focused marketing plan, with working actions and achievable goals, in no time at all. Just brilliant!
on 7 March 2009
Having read this cover to cover in an evening, I was horrified to see the publisher had allowed this author to mis-spell a famous brand name incorrectly several times, whilst using it as a case study to support his own home-grown argument about the use of sport sponsorship.
Additionally, when I utilised the book in conjunction with the author's online toolkit (HEMP_Folder_Workbook) as suggested in the book, I found the latter steps of his planning process in a different order. As a student of marketing, there is nothing quoteworthy whatsoever, and it is too far removed from widely known planning models to be used as a comparison or alternate method. Poorly referenced and lacking supporting material, it is written in a chatty, 'off-the-top-of-my-head' style, that does not appear to have any useful detail or depth, or even been proof-read. It is a blatant marketing ploy for something called Redcup Coffee, and has probably damaged this brand beyond repair by using it endlessly as an example of usage of his planning process. Waste of my money, and my evening.
on 16 June 2004
HEMP was recommended to me by a colleague. I've read a few marketing made simple books before that just made me more confused. This book is different. Making a Highly Effective Marketing Plan for your business really is easy. It just needed someone to get rid of the smoke and mirrors.
on 11 June 2005
I read this book from cover to cover over a single weekend. It is clear, insightful, inspiring and a pleasure to read. You will go into work brimming with ideas. Buy it!!!
on 11 July 2008
I found this book a very easy read. I studied marketing over a decade ago and now face the prospect of launching a new product into a new market in a new country. It has given me a clear roadmap on what I want to do. The book, will have practical examples through out it and at the end I thought "why didnt I think of this?" There's no marketing speak, no BS bingo, just simple clear language.
on 3 September 2011
At the point of writing, I have been in business 14 years. I picked up this book 7 years (halfway) into that. Until that point I had no idea what I was doing in terms of marketing. And sadly, that describes a lot of UK small business owners today (that is not meant as offensive, I was there too). They (and I did) think they know what marketing is, but this book helped me to understand what marketing really is. Not what a marketing plan is (although in an unconventional way, this book does that). It turned me from someone who promoted things that I thought were good or interesting or important into someone who seeks to help others through what they need or believe important.

As a result, I am now (and this is not for self publicity, simply to show how this book changed my life!) a columnist, award winning entrepreneur, mentor, public speaker and very proud author of Internet Marketing: The Full Story. I am now hearing from people who are getting the same business changing results. The Point? None of this would have happened without this single book. If you read and act upon this book, It will change the way you market your products/services. The actual methods will come and go. This book is timeless and is about your mindset. Buy it now!!
on 26 June 2007
Ever wondered why all the initial, highly-positive reviews of this tome occurred within a fortnight of each other ... and why they were virtually all anonymous?

Hmmm, perhaps Peter Knight's Mommy and Daddy thought his career required a boost!?

Cynical? Moi?
on 21 May 2013
Very simply to use and apply to your business whatever the size. I would highly recommend it to anyone in marketing or who owns a business.
on 10 June 2004
I've just bought this book and am already impressed. I own my own company and have been dreading coming up with a marketing plan. The 16 step HEMP plan (I'm on step 5) seems simple to understand and easy to implement.