Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Learn more

on 25 November 2011
I purchased this book years ago and found it perfect reading as it made me laugh. It made me laugh as I think I used to work for a very similar caveman. I'm sure that was where Mr Browning got the idea that interviewing was the day to play god. Anyway I would loan this book out to all and sundry and one day it never came back.
Its so good I bought it again and its still very very funny, its also wrong but still funny.
And yes there are real people out there who have some or more of these traits.
Buy it if you have ever worked in an office.
on 4 June 2016
It's a very funny parody of a classic novel - for the record, when my Dad heard I was writing for the Marketing Director he said: "that's a good job."
on 4 November 2017
Top banana, really funny.
on 24 April 2013
I purchased the book after enjoying the radio series featuring Alexander Armstrong.
The book was all that I hoped for, as I have worked with several marketing directors who were all carbon copies of John Weak.
The book is written as a daily diary of John Weak's male chauvinist pig persona.
Brilliant observation and it made me laugh out loud on so many occasions. I wish that I could write like the author.
If you work in marketing, sales or a business environment I urge you to read this book. You will not be disappointed.
on 9 November 2013
Heard this shows on bbc radio first brilliant I am looking forward to reading the book if you have not heard this show trying and source it
on 31 July 2015
Fantastic, hilarious book. Delivered as described and timely.
on 11 November 2004
I know many people have said the same, but this book is hysterical. The actions, thoughts and sayings thcome from John Weak are too funny, I was roaring with laughter on the train to work, so if you dont mind getting a few strange looks and crying from laughter, I could not recommend this book enough. Was even laughing and smiling in anticipation of my trip home, dying to get some more of the weak wisecracks.
If you are one of the lads, like a good laugh, enjoy a few beers or some red, this is what you need. Like Bridget Jones for blokes with a thousand more and better jokes, no hugh grant or soppy stuff in site.
on 28 February 2005
If you like that kind of humour, you will not stop laughing. At times I had tears running down my face and couldn't read on.
If you ever worked in Marketing (or an office really) you will be able to relate to this and I can't stop wondering if all the political correctness these days hasn't made office life a tad boring. I also recommend a novel called 'e' staged in an ad agency and all written in emails...hilarious indeed.
on 5 June 2009
I read this book because I have found other Guy Browning books extremely amusing ('Never Hit a Jellyfish with a Spade' etc).

Unfortunately this is far from his best. There are none of the laugh out loud moments from his other books and the character of Weak is a little too one dimensional to carry an entire book.

The character of Weak himself ends up being way too similar to that of Martin Lukes in 'Who moved my Blackberry' by Lucy Kellaway so if you have read that I would not bother with this one.

Overall a little disapointing but I would certainly still recommend some of his other books.
on 3 January 2003
John Weak is the sort of person you would hate to work for, but would love to be. His antics, both in 'Management Today' every month and in this diary of a year in the life of (the last of the cavemanagers) have me laughing out loud. Often.
'The Office' is good, but painful to watch, and David Brent is just a wimp. John Weak has got balls and isn't afraid to show it (literally, sometimes). I would dearly love to see this made into a TV show. Until then, I'll just have to live out my 'things you wish you could say in the office' fantasies vicariously through JW.