Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 October 2012
I read the other two reviews for this book and have to say I didn't quite agree with them. Yes the book isn't full on sex (not that there's anything wrong with that and my other reviews show I love some hot stuff now and then) but it's subtle and intriguing and beautifully written.

The author really does fill the book with sensuality so even descriptions of paper become faintly erotic. There were some very hot scenes - including one voyuerism scene which was very sexy.

I just felt that the book didn't quite explore the characters motivations enough, hence the four stars instead of five. I hate it when authors tell the reader every single thing and treat them as if they are stupid - or when authors do a Fifty Shades and treat us to the characters boring inner monologues but there is a middle ground. At times I read this book and wasn't quite sure why the characters were doing what they were or what their actions signified.

I think the book got confused with three different guys in the heroines life (in a sense, although not all romantically involved with her) and her interactions with them. Funnily enough I wasn't that interested in her relationship with Eric (although he had some hot scenes). I found her relationship with her boss very interesting and think that could have been explored much further. Of course Eric was needed as without him there would never have been the mysterious notes etc but I think it was these three different men and her reactions to them that made the book feel a little out of control at times.

I did enjoy it though, I thought the voyeur scene was - as I said - one of the hottest things I've read in a long time and I'll definitely try another of Megan Harts books soon.
on 19 September 2012
I must say that unfortunately I found this an incredibly difficult book to read to completion. The first half seemed to be going nowhere. The main character, Paige, is a normal woman, normal job, all very normal.

Notes arrive in her mailbox by mistake, how odd. But nothing too dramatic, shocking or exciting either. She has a love of fine stationery. Lovely. It didn't add much to the story apart from many paragraphs describing various papers, parchments, pens and ink.

I don't know if it's because I have been made immune by my own experiences in the kink scene or if this book really is as bland as it felt, but it was definitely difficult to carry on going.

Even in the second half when it becomes apparent that Paige is sensing a slight change in herself and growing in confidence due to a realisation that she can have power over men and enjoys it, it still isn't the life changer you'd hope for.

The 'erotic interludes' or sex scenes were nothing to grip the sheets about and felt overly tame and vanilla.

In fact by the end I just wanted to slap Paige and ask her what she's been whinging about - tell her to just get on with her life and either be with this person or that. Hey, if you like taking control, sort your head out and do it. If you love him, be with him.

I really don't see why this has been made into a book. The plot is thin, almost non-existent, actually - and I didn't find it erotic at all. I spent most of the time reading it feeling a mixture of confusion, boredom and frustration that it wasn't hotter or more interesting. I was merely waiting for it to end.

The title of the book was part of the problem throughout. To me, 'switch' is a kink orientation - both submission and dominance being enjoyed by a switch - but in fact this orientation is only very briefly explored and too subtly touched upon by the author about the main character, Paige.

She's in fact just a girl who wasn't sure of her feelings for someone until various events and experiences happened but then it's all good in the end and they live happily ever after.

It's not the spicy book I was hoping for, but I will be on the lookout for Megan Hart's other novels in the hope that this was just a one off. I really do hate feeling like this and wish I could say that I enjoyed it more, but it just wasn't for me. Sorry ~hangs head~

On the plus side, this book would be perfect for someone very new to erotica and unaware of kink, looking for an incredibly light romance.
on 9 October 2012
I must say I thought this book was going to be a great read with the secret letters arriving, how wrong was I, at every turn it was predictable, I found myself skipping to many parts and just reading when the characters spoke, the end was boring and could of been written by anyone, I must say I wanted to see what happened between Paige and the good doctor after so many letters but was found dissapointed, I think instead of all her day dreaming more could of been done on that subject. I wanted more excitement, more spark, with this book, there is small amounts of erotica but not much, overall I wound say I would not be giving it a second read and have read so much better written books for the same price.
on 22 May 2013
I love this author's writing. It's sexy, frank and yet somehow, not 'in your face'. The story starts slowly and yet captured my interest from the start. It's not a 'traditional' kinky tale and if all you want to read about hot scenes with floggings and such like then this isn't for you. All the characters are believable with all the flaws that humans contain. There are no perfect Masters and slaves here. Instead there's the complexity of human relationships in all their messiness. The need for order and lists by three of the characters including our heroine, was dealt with sympathetically. I particularly admired the way our heroine handled her OCD type boss with a great deal of tenderness by the end of the book. I felt the author has a good grasp of power exchange. She certainly got inside my head.
on 29 April 2015
I found this book slow, boring - comparing its a "sex book" not daring enough, hard to relate to Paige and confusing with most of the times.
Ah, but very unpredictable!
That is what kept me going and I really really liked some of the turns! In general it was an interesting book, but I have to say, the end was shockingly bad! That is why I gave it 4*s only. No tention, cr*p explanations of her reasons and left the story - for me - not finished. I woke up this morning after finishing it last night and half asleep I started to think what will happen now with the characters - then I realized that THAT WAS IT, I've read it, it was just not completed in so many ways! I dont know, maybe its just me. The sex scenes were not exciting enough - and sometimes the foul language was out of context. (saying tits - regarding cancer for example). For me how she felt about the letters and how she followed them - was very exciting. Also her developing relationship with Eric - and his character as a sub - that was the reason why I did finished the book. I fantasied about doing the same, leaving letters, list and instructions for someone.
Also I did not really get the whole business with the boss. For me that story was not closed as well.
I liked the touch behind the "real" mistress. That was nice!
I do not regret reading the book, but I wont keep it.
on 26 June 2015
it starts out really good and interesting but it becomes confusing as there are three men
with whom she cant seem to find any sense of balance.she chooses her old life without really
explaining why she cant look forward.I found the ending so disappointing and frustrating and it made
me throw the book on the wall.I love her books but this one left me wanting answers.
on 12 May 2013
Good with a slightly different approach The switxh of power was subtly but effectively done as for the details: to be honest they were kind of lame. Not very realistic at all. Overall worth a read though i'm surprised that this author isnt more popula r
on 24 February 2013
Good book for those that have withdrawal symptoms from books such as 50 Shades, The Siren etc, Beautiful Disaster, Thoughtless and Effortless. However not as good as those.
on 24 May 2013
well i was looking forward to this after reading some other stuff by the author,i thought it just chugged along with a insipid story line and not very gripping characters
on 12 May 2013
I bought this story as I really enjoyed my first megan hart tale. I did enjoy it but didnt quite get the point if the main character teasing her neighbour.