Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop now Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 8 November 2012
What can I say. Every story she writes is simply amazing. Her psy-changelling series and angel books are a most read. This is a good little stand alone if you don't have time for a full addiction!
on 7 December 2011
I was given a copy of this book to review from Netgalley.
This book is the fourth book in the Royal House of Shadows series, and follows the story of the youngest child Micah. It's part of the series, but I found that I could read this book easily without having read the other books in the series; although like with any series it does benefit the reader to start from the first book.

I was really pleased to get this book as I have read some of Nalini Singh's Psy-changeling books - which I loved. So with this in mind I had high expectations for this book. Well, Lord of the Abyss did not let me down; it delivered an amazing story which captured my heart, imagination and took me to another realm.

I really loved the rich and magical world that was created. There seemed to be a good mix of interesting characters which helped to pad out the story. My favourite character was Jessa the Brownie; she was a sweet and endearing character.

I have to mention that in places there were some steamy and erotic moments, it left little to the imagination..... But to be honest this only heightened the connection and relationship between Micah and Liliana. This is a dark and tantalising romance story with a mixture of magical and mysterious elements. The Lord of the Abyss was a very fierce character and it was interesting to see Liliana bring out a different side to him.

I did like the story and I thought it was very well written. I will definitely be checking out more books in the series, they are written by different authors but I think this may give a different angle to each book, plus each book is written about the different members of the Royal Family so it will be interesting to see things from their point of view. Each and every one of the children was sent to different parts of the realm into different lands; so I can't wait to find out about those!
on 29 November 2011
Lord of the Abyss takes a while to get going, which is understandable, because it takes a lot of pages to get to grips with the setting. It's a million miles from the "urban fantasy" of monsters in our midst that has been the fashion in mass-market speculative fiction since Buffy. But it's not that much closer to the 20th century staple, the realistic created world, the Tolkienesque vision of a world distinct from ours but resembling it in fundamentals, though well-defined rules of magic rule it and strange men or animals populate it.

Rather, this takes us all the way back to fairy tale; traditional, pre-Disneyfied, where dark forests and magic castles seem to exist remote from any outside normality. The story takes place in an Enchanted Castle, where a Demon Prince, Cursed by an Evil Wizard, guards the Gateway Between Worlds.

As I said, this takes a bit of getting used to, particularly when it comes to reconciling the children's-book feel (the only modern work the book specifically reminded me of was C.S Lewis's "The Silver Chair") with the graphic sexuality, but it's worth persevering.

Because, really, what's wrong with fairy tales? And why shouldn't they have graphic sex in them? (After all, it stays faithful to the fairy tale pattern: "Next time, I'll be inside you"). This is a good one-off story, it doesn't need a well-realised virtual world, with maps, and universities of magic, and political hierarchies. If it was going to turn into a saga, it might, but I think that would be a mistake. The value here is the strangeness, the uniqueness, even the simplicity, and that would be destroyed by turning it into another Dungeons-and-Dragons campaign setting.
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 30 January 2012
This is the fourth and final book in a new series called Royal House of Shadows with each book being written by a different author. The series is based in another world where the Kingdom of Elden has been destroyed by the Blood Sorcerer. The Queen and King of Elden have scattered their four children (Nicolai, Breena, Dayn and Micah)to safety and filled them with vengeance to avenge their deaths just before they die at the hands of the Blood Sorcerer.

This fourth book Lord of the Abyss by Nalini Singh features the Prince Micah who when the rest of his siblings were cast away to different locations was made into the Dark Lord/Guardian of the Abyss. The Abyss is basically the gateway to hell etc and is in another realm to Elden. The Guardian's job is to shepherd the souls and prevent any evil ones re-entering the mortal realm. Liliana is the actual daughter of the Blood Sorcerer who has been brought up with unthinkable torture and cruelty by him so seeks to end his reign. Her plan is to remind the Guardian that he is indeed the royal prince Micah and help him to help his siblings conquer the Blood Sorcerer and take back the Kingdom of Elden. The one snag is that Micah doesn't remember he is Micah as part of the spell that transformed him into the Guardian prevents him remembering so Liliana must find a way to quite literally chip away at his defensive armour. I did enjoy this story probably in part to do with I think the author had a lot more free reign with Micah's character with him having only been a baby when the Blood Sorcerer took over the Kingdom of Elden so she was able to give him more of his own character. I couldn't particularly associate with Liliana though and did struggle with her character a bit but the story line was good and it all tied in with the grand ending for the four books. All in all a good read and I'd definitely recommend it and the series.

1. Lord of the Vampires (Royal House of Shadows) (Mb Nocturne B Format)
2. Lord of Rage (Royal House of Shadows) (Mb Nocturne B Format)
3. Lord of the Wolfyn (Royal House of Shadows) (Mb Nocturne B Format)
4. Lord of the Abyss
on 2 January 2012
This is the fourth and final book in The Royal House of Shadows series. A collection of four books by four different authors, each a retelling of a classic tale. This time we have Beauty and the Beast in reverse.

Liliana, our heroine, is definitely not the most attractive of women on the outside, but is a kind and gentle soul inside. She also happens to be the daughter of the Blood Sorcerer- the one responsible for the death of the parents of all four siblings from the series, and ultimately, for their banishment to the various different realms to which they were forced.

Micah, aka The Lord of the Abyss, is the youngest of the four, and was only five years of age when he was banished. He has no memory of who he was before. Liliana, after experiencing a vision, discovers she needs to reunite all four of the Elden royals by midnight on the night their magical timepieces run out, as this is the only time the Blood Sorcerer can be thwarted. And unless someone intervenes, her vision showed that Micah would be noticeably absent, causing the one and only chance to slip by forever.

I'm sorry to say I didn't really enjoy this one. I found the attraction between Micah and Liliana completely implausible. Perhaps if she'd had the most amazing personality to compensate for her rather unfortunate visage I could have accepted it. But really, she was rather dull.

I also found the pacing incredibly slow. Almost the entire book was set within the walls of the castle with little or nothing happening other than the hero and heroine getting to know one another and the obligatory sex scenes. Sex scenes which, because of my inability to believe their connection, also fell flat.

Overall this series has been a bit of a mixed bag, but by far my personal runaway favourite was Lord of the Wolfyn by Jessica Andersen. Fans of Nalini Singh's other works might want to give this a try to see a different style of writing from her, and a more gentle storytelling pace, but for an action lover like me, it just wasn't enough.
on 9 November 2012
this was the first book I have read by this author , and I could not put it down read it in 2 days , it is engrossing from the first page , highly recommend it the charactors were enthralling I am now reading the guild hunter books by the same author and they are even better if you liked Lord of the Abyss you will love the Guild Hunter books, why no one has made of film of Angels Blood I do not know it would be fantastic.Angels' Blood: The Guild Hunter Series (GUILD HUNTER NOVEL)
on 17 January 2013
Final part of the Royal House of Elden series. Great ending, once again good overpowers evil and another great love story, this time for the youngest of the princes, Micah. Well done Nalini!
on 30 May 2014
I love Nalini Singh's Psy and Angel books and this was just as good. Only down point is that the cover illustrater had obviously never read the book, but that is parr for the course.
on 16 September 2014
A book that takes you to a magical and mysterious realm. A different flavor of book. This is my first book from Nalini Singh. I am looking forward to her other books.
on 14 August 2016
I have read all four books in this series and I enjoyed them all but the first book and this book are definitely my favourite