I adore Loretta Chase, and this series is one of her finest. She is witty, sharp and extremely romantic without being sappy. You don't get to keep the hero angsty, dark and brooding, because the heroine is usually like a hurricane which snatches him and whirls him away until he is too dizzy to brood and have no idea what hit him.

Scandal Wears Satin is no different. Sophy Noirot is a gorgeous and extremely sharp journalist for London's most famous gossip newspaper. Longmore is a bored young aristocrat whose lack of purpose poisons all his life and pursuit of pleasures. Despite all that, he is very funny, very handsome and very sceptical of sisters Noirot, whose dressmakers' shop dresses his younger sister Lady Clara.

However when Clara bolts after a disastrous forced engagement to a fortune hunter it's up to Longmore and ever resourceful Sophy to chase her across the country and create an elaborate scheme to extricate poor girl from from the villain's clutches without ruining her reputation.

Pffff. Nothing like bonding over some swindler's plan, and those two are ever suited with each other...

The thing with Loretta is that she goes for the gut. You keep laughing over the characters delightful banter, and then BAM! she does something so casually but deeply romantic that it cuts straight through you. Both Longmore and Sophy understand the ridiculousness of their attraction to each other and keep fighting it, but they still fall head over heels for each other. *sigh* It's just lovely without being silly, and I adored it.

A MUST READ.
on 6 August 2012
Good: This book goes back to the sort of characters she's written well before, with enough differences to make it interesting. Smart, funny, emotionally true dialogue. Incredible historical detail. The clothes alone are marvellous. I'd be reading it again right now except my friend insisted on borrowing it.

Bad: Its part two of a trilogy and (unlike her previous groups of books) it doesn't feel quite like a complete book. Odd things are brought up and not resolved. I bet it makes more sense if I'd read Silk Is for Seduction (book 1) just ahead of it. I'll be happy to re-read them all when book 3 comes out...
on 2 November 2012
This is my favorite Loretta Chase romance since her Carsington quartet - witty and sharp as always, with wonderfully smart, funny characters, hilarious situations, and real, deep emotion underneath.

I'd given up on the first book in her Dressmaker series because I didn't feel that kind of emotional connection with it, but I'm so glad that I was persuaded to try reading this second book in the series (which stands alone perfectly) anyway...and now that I've finished and loved it so much, I'm going to go back and try the first book again to see if maybe I was just in the wrong mood when I tried it.

Scandal Wears Satin is so funny, smart, and deeply humane in the way Chase writes her fabulous, sparring characters - and, by the end, it's really deeply romantic, too! A total joy. I can already tell that I'll be rereading it many times.
on 12 September 2015
This is Sophy and Longmore's story; Celia's story is also developed. Poor Celia, compromised by a rogue, quite understandably bolts from a forced marriage and Longmore and Sophy end up in pursuit. Their journey to love and HEA develops during the chase and a lively, funny and cynical time they have of it. As in the other books of the series, the fashions of the time are entertainingly described and gently mocked by LC. A terrific addition to the series - probably my favourite but Celia's complete story is yet to come and I'm wildly curious to see how that turns out.
on 1 October 2015
i used to like her books...i still re-read "lord of scoundrels" and "the last hellion" in the summer, on vacation...but this series? no, what happened? feels like re-warmed left-overs, with some heyer thrown in, lots of quotes from "real" sources, and a stirring of sex, a pinch of pale, tired humor, and some old stock phrases, heroes and heroines...sorry, i was actually shocked at how bad it was...skipped, skimmed, and gave up...what happened? where is the author of "the mad earl's wife"? please give us back the real loretta!
on 22 July 2012
I've got to the region around the two hundred page mark and I just can't go on. I never thought I'd say this about a Loretta Chase book, but it's boring me to distraction. Perhaps I'll pick it up again sometime and try to finish it? Somehow I doubt it.

There were some amusing bits pf dialogue and a few funny comments here and there, but that's as far as it goes. Huge chunks of this are deadly dull. Sorry, Loretta Chase fans, that's how I see it. And If this had been a first novel I wouldn't have lasted as long as I did.
on 16 May 2014
I love Loretta Chase books and am only disappointed on novellas or some of the ver earliest books. She is one of the very few intelligent writers of romantic fiction.
on 26 April 2015
I really like Loretta Chase books and her humour appeals to me - would recommend
on 12 November 2014
Better than the first book in this series but not a patch on her earlier work.
on 18 January 2014
Just what you need to keep your heart melting. A fantastic book. Full of heroism and wicked romance. This was a big hit for me!! Liz Carlyle's books are always fantastic!!