on 3 March 2013
This book just seemed to be pitched at my level. I thought SICP was great but it left me wanting to know more about scheme itself. I'm coming from a background where things like "closure" and "continuation" don't mean anything. And just what *is* a macro? Well I'd puzzled out the first two and read various Lisp articals about macros. But scheme's macros seemed incredibly arcane. Why are there so many (lisp-like, define-syntax, syntax-rules, syntax-case)? And even others that people have invented. So I searched the net and stuumbled on TSPL. Wow. I know you can read this online (so if you want a look you don't have to pay Amazon anything!) but I like technical books in dead-tree form. So I bought it and regretted nothing. syntax-rules make perfect sense! Maybe I'll grok syntax-case in the end! It's also a great R6RS reference.
on 29 February 2008
Dybvig's book is an excellent but terse tutorial and reference on Scheme.

Writtem in the tradition of Kernighan and Ritchie 'The C Programming Language' it provides a complete description of the language in a very short amount of space.

I found this approach in keeping with the Language, scheme is a small and very expressive language.

It sits on my desk next to K&R, Hanson, Stoustroup, Graham, Stevens and Steele.
on 20 December 2012
Here we have one of the standard books in the world of scheme programming, known and recommended in computer science departments around the world. Tough, dry, authoratative; I am about a third of the way through my first reading of it, and I know that I will have another go in a few months' time. And maybe another go after that. For example, chapter three, 'Going Further' ambles steadily through serious recursion then hits us with continuations and CPS. Great fun.

Ernestly recommended if you like scheme, or if you are chasing a CompSci degree.
on 14 November 2005
This is an excellent introduction to Scheme.
Disciplined technical writing, with no redundancy.
on 14 December 2010
I like reading by actually holding a book. They make it easier for me to jot down what I think or write down keywords to make it easy for me to recall what is where at some points. It is not much difference that online reference in order to understand the language. But it may be more elaborate on notation and naming conventions which is and added advantage. I still need to search online from time to time.