Customer reviews

5,196
Format: Hardcover|Change

This book is expensive, a paperback would be a fraction of the price, but it is worth every penny. I had just finished reading the Hobbit to my 9 year old and thought The Lord of the Rings would be a great follow on from that.
I like proper books, I love the feel of them and this one does not disappoint.

Notwithstanding the story, the book is a quality collectors product that should not just be looked at but read.

My only complaint is that it has heft, sitting next to my son for his bedtime story it is not a book I can hold in one hand. I have to rest it against my knees. This is a book to be handed down the generations.
Perfect.
This is written exellantly there is a lot of hype at the moment around the hobbit but I remember my father always telling me as a young child always read the hook first then watch the film I am so glad I did I now base the hobbit on j r r Tolkien not by Peter Jackson and Hollywood I really enjoyed this read not to long jot to short just right the way Tolkien builds the story up it's levels the way each character is discribed in detail I could not put it down it was completely mesmerising highly recommended.
on 23 February 2016
Wonderful sketches by a master artist. It is also the story of the artistic process of making LOTR where Lee must have had to draw lightning fast, at a moment's notice when the production team wanted to go in close on some small device or area of a room/town/world! Terrific imagination and innovation, but he shares the limelight by naming his collaborators who brought his sketches to life on the big screen.
on 7 August 2017
It was on deal, so no question asked. I just clicked 'buy' as soon as I can. I own the book in many languages and versions. This versions is a priceless addition to my collection. And the deal was a tease a student can't ignore. Arrived in sturdy books with Tolkien stamp.
on 10 May 2017
I've read this a number of times before but I always find it hard to put down. If you've only watched the films you may find some differences but be advised, however good the film is, the book is much, much, much better.
on 6 June 2013
For all the controversy over the films, it is great to pick the book up again, and read it. I haven't read it in years, but it is as fresh as when I first read it as a child. Compared to The Lord of the Rings, it is much simpler and less detailed. This is no bad thing, just different. I haven't yet seen the first Hobbit film, but it is easy to see how the story can be padded out, as much detail is left to the imagination - as it should be in good fiction. This is a book for all ages, and the perfect introduction to Tolkien.
on 9 June 2017
This is to replace a copy of this great work to which I no longer have access. I am about half way through and am just as entertained as I was the first few times I read it. The book itself seems well constructed and the spine is holding out so far. How it will perform over the years, time will tell.
on 12 July 2014
One of my all time favourites - the prequel to The Lord of the Rings explains how the ring made its way to The Shire. The perfect fantasy adventure complete with hobbits, trolls, goblins, dwarves, elves, mountain tunnels, raging rivers, a dragon, even some humour, and of course - Gollum and Gandalf the Wizard. A classic that should be read by any fantasy lover...even if it is now shorter than the three films they've managed to eke out of it!
on 12 April 2016
Love this book. Constantly pick it up to look at the sketches, some of which are incredible. The paragraphs by Alan Lee that accompany the sketches are excellent too and give nice insight into the work and his time working on LOTR. Would highly recommend to any Tolkien and art fan.
on 16 July 2017
This clever "comic-book" format is an excellent introduction, for children, to a book which they will find quite difficult, in its complete original form!