on 4 January 2002
This map is basically a large hand painted version of the maps in the lord of the rings, though it infuriatingly leaves out some of the locations marked on those maps.Considering the scale a lot more info could have been added to it.
There is an excellent booklet accompanying the map, which gives a short overview of the story, plus brief descriptions of the more important locations in the books.
If nothing else, it's easier on the eye than the tiny maps in the back of the book, and it is beautifully presented, with artwork by tolkien illustrator john howe.
on 27 May 2001
This was a big disappointment. I got it to allow my son follow the trilogy, and expected events and routes to be marked. Big sheet of paper, small low detail map surrounded by too much artwork JRR would not have liked at all. This is the kind of map that gets printed onto tea towels at holiday resorts. Yuk.
Suggest the author reads Edward R Tuftes brilliant 'Envisioning information' and 'Visual Explanations' and maybe has another go.
on 27 December 2003
I had hoped, with the purchase of a large map, that it would include LOTS of details (it has the space after all) and would be painted very nicely. Instead the map is surrounded by too large (but nice) paintings and is missing details from smaller maps included with the books.
This leaves large blank areas which are dull to look at (there's no terrain detail here, it's just one bland color with trees on it), no indication of the type of land contained.
It's as if John Howe really didn't care about this project at all :(
Still, what IS there is MUCH easier to read than the small maps included with the books (not least because of it's colorization and that you can reference it quickly without having to mark your page and turn to the back of the book).
Just a shame it wasn't better. A definitive (and prettier) map of Middle Earth is yet to be made :(
on 7 May 2002
This map is basically a color large verison of the book map, but with bits missed out. The blurb says you can trace the routes of the Frodo, Strider and the others, which made me think they were all marked on, however there is nothing but some place names. Not even the battle names etc from the original maps are on here. The booklet is ok but you could find the information anywhere, the map itself isn't worth looking at.
on 21 March 2003
I like this map.In all recent printings of Tolkiens M.E. books, the maps have been reproduced as end papers rather than the original fold-out red and black maps- this new format makes them very small, difficult and clumsy to refer to whilst reading LOTR, The Silmarillion, Unfinished tales etc...This independant map is accurate, if not exhaustively detailed, big, colourful and easy to refer to. I also own the excellent 'Atlas of Middle Earth'(also available on Amazon) by Karen Wynn Fonstad, but this map is good in a different kind of way (Fonstad's does not include a large, all in one map like this). I notice some scathing reviews alongside this one, which suggests that it is not to everyones tastes, but I consider myself to be a big Tolkien fan having read all the published works, the letters, the history of ME series etc and as I say, I like it and am happy to own it. I think Tolkien WOULD have approved. So, each to their own - I say buy it!
on 14 March 2014
Bought this map to replace the same map I had as a kid, that eventually fell apart. The design has not changed in years which is exactly what I had hoped, it's my favourite middle-earth map and was designed and illustrated many years before the lotr films came out so is not influenced by the films visuals.

This map is decorated with lots of decorative borders, little character illustrations and scenes that are lovely to look at. Details like this make maps really special. The characters may look strange to people used to the very iconic character designs given by the films, but are a reminder of the many years when there was a huge variation of ideas and interpretations of what these characters may look like.

The map itself is well drawn, very intricate and detailed and looks great up on the wall. I'm very glad this version is still in publication and I was able to replace my precious childhood map - I still remember how excited I was to find that map in a bookshop 20 years ago and it's lovely to be able to have the same map up on my bedroom wall today.
VINE VOICEon 23 February 2008
Barcode: 9780261103184

I got this map for Christmas i think amidst all the hype of Lord Of The Ring's and the new series of films and as i was reading the Trilogy. In essence it looks OK and the book has got quite a lot of information in it (as to whether it is accurate, i don't know as i only briefly scanned over it). But the whole thing just feels so... average.

The main attraction is made out to be the map which is where things get let down. The map itself is pretty basic, the colours and shading simplistic and don't portray the grandeur and richness of the books at all. Details such as place names etc. are kept to a minimum, the maps in the back of the actual Lord Of The Rings books probably have more detail! Also, the illustrations around the edge of the map are kinda budget as well, they've got a 'typical fantasy', almost cartoony feel to them and only detract further from this item.
on 18 July 2013
I was willing to take the chance that this map would be in fair condition as it was so cheap to purchase but when it arrived I was delighted to find that it was as good as new. I had looked in several book shops for this item and had been told it was out of print so was very pleased to be able to get hold of one.
on 20 June 2014
I have to say, when I found this I was so excited, as everyone else stated, you expect it to be detailed and well presented. What I actually got it something a child should be given when trying to get them to take an interest in maps. The map is huge, at least 2 xA3 size, the the actual map barely takes up 3/4s of the page, the rest being taken up by the 'sea' and several paintings that basically are inappropriate. It looks as though the person who painted this just wanted to show off their drawings. The booklet it cute I guess, but as someone else said you can easily look up this information on the internet. I am glad I bought this half price and second hand because I wouldn't be happy paying full price for it.
on 28 March 2000
Excellent Map which helps when visualising the jouney of the fellowship, the four hobbits on their way to Rivendell and Bilbo and the Dwarves on their travells to Smaug and the lonely mountain!