Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

5,123

on 24 February 2015
I fist read this book, in it's entirety in the 1960s and was then amazed at the detail Tolkien had put into this work of 'pure fantasy'. I found It enthralling and read the whole book in one sitting.
Unfortunately I lost it and am pleased that Amazon have added it to their Kindle library! I will read it again and again as I still find it enthralling and regard Tolkien as a master storyteller.
Thank you Amazon for making this available.
on 2 April 2017
Another great sketch book! characters and the drawings are pretty amazing! it feels like it taking you back from the very begining of the story and let you see the ideal world of the lord of the rings behind the character and the scenery!
on 6 June 2013
For all the controversy over the films, it is great to pick the book up again, and read it. I haven't read it in years, but it is as fresh as when I first read it as a child. Compared to The Lord of the Rings, it is much simpler and less detailed. This is no bad thing, just different. I haven't yet seen the first Hobbit film, but it is easy to see how the story can be padded out, as much detail is left to the imagination - as it should be in good fiction. This is a book for all ages, and the perfect introduction to Tolkien.
on 12 April 2016
Love this book. Constantly pick it up to look at the sketches, some of which are incredible. The paragraphs by Alan Lee that accompany the sketches are excellent too and give nice insight into the work and his time working on LOTR. Would highly recommend to any Tolkien and art fan.
And then over a decade later I pick up this little sweet spot of a book and cannot wait to get back to reading it again [I have a backlog of reading to do including LOTR, Silmarillion and others] Make sure you buy the Enhanced Edition of the Kindle book as it has a little more at the beginning of the book which is worth reading as a little background of how the book came to be.
on 10 June 2014
I gave this book a four star rating because it was well written and gained more understanding on the characters. I now known the differences between the Orcs, Hobbits, Gollum, Dwarfs, the ring, which gives the Hobbits it's power to disappear to avoid danger. The Orcs continuously tried to get rid of the Dwarfs because of there greedy characters. Gollum as always is completely compelled by the ring and it's power. His sneaky behaviour towards the Dwarfs hides his quest for his search for the ring. I would recommend this book to any reader. I'm looking forward to reading the next book of part 3 of The Lord of the Rings.
on 21 April 2017
Great read but the book didn't have the same cover as the picture which was a little disappointing as I was looking for a specific cover type to match my other LOTR books
on 26 October 2016
a brilliant look into the art work and the talant of these people that bring the films to life and for anyone intrested in drawing
on 2 November 2013
I ordered the book and it took two days to come, which was a nice surprise. I already have 'The Hobbit Chronicles' as I'm a big fan of both, the latter and the LOTR trilogy.

I am an art student and for me the book is a great showcase of the work by Alan Lee. I love the way that all kinds of sketches were included here, so not just persons, elves or orcs, but also hobbit houses, utensils, armour, Mordor, Isengard, treebeard and much more. I don't just love this book because I study drawing and the level of the drawings by Alan Lee are mind blowing, but also because it serves like a visual continuation between the LOTR novel and films.

If you loved the art on the films, you will undoubtedly love this book! You won't regret it!
on 5 April 2014
I have read this book many times in my lifetime and it remains and will always be a very great favourite always finding something new each time I read it. However, some things about it appear to have altered. Did not tales of Arwen feature more prominently in the original. Did not Aragorn himself suffer pain at the claws of the Isengard wolves tumbling from sight over the hills in battle or am I blurring the lines between book and film. If changes have been made they have not all been for the best and I have felt robbed of some of its magic hence the 4 star rating and not 5. I don't suppose I shall read it again but that isn't for the lack of love of it. Merely time.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse