Format: Hardcover|Change

on 7 May 2008
Much has been said about the Silmarillion, most of it true.
I'll add my own 5 pence here: in my opinion, the Ainulindale is the truest and most accurate account of the Creation Story form any quarter. It beautifully merges the truths of the big-bang theme and the evolutionary theme, and shows them to flow from one single Intelligent Source- this is the truth, sans religion.
Furthermore, it is clear to me that Tolkien was gifted with the Sight, and did not invent these worlds; rather, he was 'allowed' to 'see' into happenings in other realms, and to record them as his earthly brain could so transcribe. These happenings being spoken of are largely the events in the World of the Elementals and the worlds beyond; the Elves are a representation of beigns that exist, and the Wars are a depiction of the universal struggle of good against evil.
I'll leave it there; ponder on this a minute.
on 16 October 2013
Tough but very rewarding and interesting gives a great insight to the other parts of the Tolkien grand scheme of events :)
on 16 August 2013
He'd just finished the Hobbit and requested the Silmarillion. He is still reading and enjoying I think and hope! Cheers!!
on 27 December 2012
Tolkien truly is a visionary; the works in his world are unlike any other and it was fascinating to see the history of it.
on 14 October 2013
Good book for the LOTR lovers out there. Full of history. Not like the LOTR books though if thats what you're looking for
on 12 August 2011
Surely the best edition of "The Silmarillion" I know. If you're not interested in illustrations but in a beautiful, durable and elegant book, easy to read and well-printed, this is the book for you. I found also amazing the letter from J.R.R. Tolkien to Milton Waldman put at the beginning of the volume, really useful and enlightning to have a brief and easy-followable overview of the whole Silmarillion complex series of events. So, it's surely a collector's edition, but the content it's the more clear and easy to read I've experienced.
And, last but not least, if you're collecting the "deluxe editions" of HarperCollins, sure you can't miss this!
on 28 July 2014
The voice isn't as good as previous audio books I have bought (such as The Hobbit) but the material is decent enough!
on 14 February 2013
Beautiful edition. So anxious to start but first I must finish the Lord of the Rings :) My collection grows bigger :)
on 25 February 2014
I just love this story, trying to pronounce the names is half the fun! Please people remember that Elves don't exist
on 11 October 2013
As always, this is another great product and it has completely met my expectations. As such, I highly recommend it.