The Silmarillion
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 15 March 2013
The book was to in depth .
Was looking for more of a lighter read.
Not a story, more of a fact on the history of
the lord of the rings.
on 13 January 2013
This is such a good book and works well on my new kindle fire :D I'm sure i will read it several times
on 20 December 2013
A bit too racial progeny for my personal taste. Take a year off work to get through it or try the bible for a nice compact read. Good basic plot nice epic scale and it satisfies the craving for elvish more tings... Mr Frodo, where can I get pointy ears ? (See Star Trek convention).
on 11 September 2016
The Silmarillion is a great book that I've been planning to read for a couple of years now, but I've been a bit reluctant to, since I first tried to read it as a child, but it turned out to be too hard to comprehend. Now, however, it's extremely readable and well written. I'm giving it a 4 star rating due to the size of the book being rather small. For me, it makes it a bit harder to read, since I don't want to damage it by opening it up completely, but the words close to the binding are harder to read, if the book is not open to 180 degrees. That is also why I wanted to return the book, to order the illustrated version (illustrations by Ted Nasmith), which is also larger. It turned out that amazon was so kind as to refund me completely for this order without even having me send the book back, for which I am very grateful. Hence I ordered the illustrated version from the USA amazon (because it was only around 27 EUR, postage included, whereas it would cost me 47 EUR or more, if I ordered it from Germany or from UK).
All in all, if you have no issues reading from a rather small book, this one is great, but if you prefer high quality paper, illustrations and book that is easy to read, I'd suggest you buy the illustrated version. This book has a small map of Beleriand included, which comes in an A3 format, fold-out in the illustrated, which is another reason to purchase that one instead of this one.
on 22 July 2014
My husband loves I get a peaceful night when he is reading it
on 4 November 2014
Do not even attempt this unless you can devote time to study the text - this is not a prelude to Tolkiens other works, but more a text listing the different relationships between gods, lesser gods and all other inhabitants of Tolkiens world. Very complex and very hard to follow.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 31 December 2014
Bloody hard going at times.
on 14 February 2018
I saw this book years ago in my sister's collection and she said it was difficult to read but after having seen all of The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit collection,I was interestedd in this book. I have only read a couple of pages and find that it is not too difficult at all. Bearing in mind that it was at least 30 years ago and there were no films at that time, I can see how it gave her that impression and I think if i hadn't seen any of the films I would have some problems. I am delighted to have this book and look forward to finding out how the story goes. If you are a Tolkien fan then this is a must read. Thankyou.
on 12 April 2016
I haven't read it but my girfriend said this book is awesome for anyone interested in the Tolkien universe
One person found this helpful
on 9 July 2014