on 22 April 2017
To put it simply, this book has changed my life and the way I view things / stuff / consumerism and spending. I've recommended it to everyone, especially those who are pretty miserable in their jobs and could free themselves up to do something else if they curtailed their consumerism and freed up their finances. I realise the irony of writing this review on a website that thrives on consumerism!
12 people found this helpful
on 18 March 2017
This book is a lifechanger, a must read is an understatement. In the search of true happiness this author ponders a brilliant idea in a really easy to read and engaging way. It analyses one of the biggest issues of our civilisation and offers a constructive solution, don't buy what you don't need as it will not make you happy.
8 people found this helpful
on 13 April 2018
The book is great, I do believe that people take the book way to litrally! You do not have to follow his steps directly and have one of everything but if you take a step back and see the book for what it is- less is more. Remove all of the extra, fancy cars/ big houses etc just have the basics. Amazing book and it has truly changed my outlook on life and what is really important.
on 8 June 2015
What an extraordinary and inspiring book! Sociologists have finally discovered and reported that having material 'stuff' beyond a certain point does not make us happy, while spending our extra time or money on experiences does. This is the 'bible' to achieve a lifesyle based on enjoyment rather than 'stuff'. It won't work for everyone, nor does the author claim it will, but for anyone who is feeling suffocated by a houseful of junk they never use, here is a much more positive answer than just having a charity-bag clearout. Immensely readable too!
2 people found this helpful
on 14 August 2015
This has been on my list for ages. I finally read it on holiday this year. Really thought provoking - it looks at how we have got to a point of having too much stuff and looks at alternatives to solve the problem. Loved the chapter on unexpected consequences. It's not a quick fix book to solving the problem of a house full of clutter, but it will start to make you think before you buy again and start to ask yourself some questions about alternative lifestyles.
on 10 March 2017
Thought provoking and very useful ideas which I've started implementing makes me think about how I spend my time and money.
4 people found this helpful
on 3 January 2018
Interesting, really makes you think about all the junk we hoard and drag through life
on 2 September 2017
My daughter and I are putting this into practice - and it works!
2 people found this helpful
on 10 September 2015
This book was to recommended to me by a friend who felt that I had accumulated to much "stuff". I thought this was just about how to get rid of "stuff" but the book goes way beyond this and helps you analyse and understand now only what we buy, have, do or experience but also one's motivation. It looks at factors such as the intrinsic or extrinsic value of things and experiences. There are many aspects of this book I will try and incorporate into my life and lifestyle and am now presented with an ideal opportunity as I embark on downsizing to a new house and need to seriously de-clutter.
on 22 May 2017
Pretty good book covering what I had expected. Quite motivating, though I still have plenty of sorting out to do !