Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 September 2015
"Terrorism", "radicalisation", "jihad". These and other words are now part of the vocabulary used on a daily basis by national and international newsreaders. Therefore I expected much from this book - the title "The Reluctant Fundamentalist" evokes emotions of the inherent complexity of our modern world with its profoundly different cultures, politics, interests and power imbalances. Is greater understanding possible or even desirable? Is protracted conflict inevitable ? How can we avoid stigmatising a whole people group because of the actions of the few?
I was expecting an exploration of such issues through the medium of the novel. Rather the plot - albeit offered through an engaging writing style - was rather superficial and predictably anti-American. Don't get me wrong I, amongst millions of others, can find a million and one ready reasons to be anti-American. The author appropriately highlights American arrogance and vested interests expressed through its foreign policy. However our common humanity surely confers an imperative to at least acknowledge, explore and reflect upon the complexity found in our real world. I expected this novel to help me do this but ultimately I was disappointed.
on 6 February 2016
First class condition.
on 8 July 2013
Definitely worth a read... I like Mohsin Hamid's writing style .... Nor just another one of those novels .. well written
on 30 June 2014
To be fair bought for my daughter who loved it but not my taste in writing. arrived quicky well packaged and great price
on 27 May 2014
Too quick a read and was very sorry it was over so soon!! a great read but too short!! delivery was very prompt, thanks
on 17 January 2013
Caused a fair amount of discussion but most were irritated at at ending! Wouldnt recommend to be read by a friend
on 20 February 2016
Thought this was a very well crafted book. Should be read by all UKIP members and others of an intolerant mindset.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 July 2013
A very thought provoking book which is cleverly written and leaves a lot for the readers to decide for themselves.
on 31 July 2013
I haven't read a book so quickly in a long time. Loved the way it was written and kept you wondering at the end
on 17 July 2014
Some lenghty parts and the format gets tedious at times but great insight into the Pakistani side of the story