Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 August 2008
Pick up this book of short essays (each being only about 800 words) and before you know it, 100 pages has gone by. Ranging from the hilarious (fending off a burglar using a biography of Tolstoy) to the heartbreaking (the treatment of the elderly in British hospitals), Sue Townsend manages to share titbits from her very interesting life in small, easily digestible portions.

First written as a monthly column for Sainsbury's Magazine, these pieces are slice-of-life affairs. Sue's battles with her expanding waistline, her diminishing eyesight and the ticking clock are covered here in touching and very funny detail. I found this book impossible to put down, yet it would be relatively easy to dip in and out of on a long train journey or a flight. Not demanding, surely, but very satisfying; sort of like a natter with a good friend.
on 5 June 2003
A collection of Townsends articles written for Sainsbury's magazine. They have no common subject, she just writes whatever happens to be in her mind. An extremely accomplished and witty writter, she makes you laugh in one article and cry the next. Her strong character shines through as she battles with amongst others getting older and becoming blind. Formidable penmanship from quite a lady.
on 27 June 2012
I bought this for 50p at a church fete but it would have been good value at the full price. The stories are sometimes funny, sometimes sad, always fun. Woven through her musings on day to day 21st century life is the story of her battles with health problems and her failing sight. She is always light-hearted about these problems, never self-pitying and reveals herself as a lady of huge bravery. Mostly though just sit back and enjoy her hilarious comments on being a middle-aged woman in Britain today...
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 10 January 2013
What started out as regular 800-word(ish) articles for Sainsbury's 'The Magazine' has been pulled together into this incredibly funny and often poigniant collection where Sue Townsend tells us all about the ups and downs of her life as writer and human being. Whether it's her poor relationship with the domestic appliances in her house, or the fact she seems to be the most burgalarised person I have ever heard of, everytime I put this book down I couldn't wait to pick it up again.

It's jam packed with little slices of life as experienced first hand by Sue and is worth every penny I paid to download it to my Kindle.

I was a huge fan of Sue's Adrian Mole books when I was a teenager and hadn't read anything of hers since. But on the strength of this book alone I've added all her books to my wishlist, the first of which - 'The Woman who Went to Bed for a Year' is already winging its way to me
on 17 November 2012
So far all my middle aged girl friends who have read Sue T.'s tale couldn't put the story down.....we felt empathy, we laughed out loud at the audacity and extreme behaviour that developed......perhaps we secretly would like to follow suit but haven't the guts to.
This is delightful female escapism........woe betide my husband if he starts shed building, I'll know what to do won't I?!
on 3 September 2013
I've only read the first few chapters and, although well written with Sue Townsend's usual good humour, its simply an account of life's situations she's found herself in and not as entertaining as I thought it would be. Not sure I'll read to the end and wish I bought the other book of hers I was contemplating!
on 6 May 2014
This book is a compilation of the numerous pieces Sue Townsend wrote as columns for Sainsbury's "The Magazine." Sue Townsend had the ability to make great humour out of any situation, and one can hear her voice in every paragraph. I got this soon after her death - it's a good way to remember a talented woman, writer and humourist.
on 6 July 2013
I originally bought this book in paperback, and was glad to add to my Kindle. As expected from Sue, the book offers a collection of wit, and observation jottings. Will undoubtedly be well received by her fans.
on 7 February 2013
Great to read, i am empathy with the main lead in this book. Wonderfull characters ,wity lines, just was a bit sad at the end but read it ! and get a buzz and a bit of exercise for a rib tickling laughter!!!
Kim Dundonald N.I.
on 16 November 2012
If you are looking for a light hearted book with not too much concentration required these books are it. Wouldnt want to read these all the time as I like a book you can 'get lost' in ususally, but made a nice change.