Format: Paperback|Change

The story opens with Flora, a mother of three, planning her death. Straight after we switch to a scene a few hours later when Flora's eldest daughter returns home. After initially being frustrated that her mother had left the iron gates shut despite her car being in the drive, Eva enters a silent house. She knows her mother can't have gone anywhere as the back door is unlocked and her mother never leaves anything unlocked. After going from room to room Eva makes a shocking discovery. Why would her mother want to do this? And are there things that Eva may have not known about Flora?

This is a highly emotional and gripping read. As the beginning of the book is so vivid and shocking, I was quickly sucked in by the story and I literally could not tear my eyes away from the pages! I was desperate to follow Eva's journey in her quest for the truth and was staying up in bed late at night trying to fit in an extra few chapters!

Eva was a wonderfully written character, Lesley Pearse translated Eva's personality, thoughts and emotions perfectly so well that I felt myself go through similar emotions as I read about Eva's journey. and as a reader I really felt for her. I warmed to Eva from the start, she is strong, she is brave and I really got behind her, spending the book hoping that she would continue to strive forward in her searches and discoveries.

Lesley Pearse captured the effects of grief very well, and the book is very well-written in this sense. Everybody grieves differently, and Lesley showed this with each character having their own individual feelings and reactions. As the story covers suicide, death and grief, it can at times be a bit much if you're not used to stories that explore these issues. There are other issues explored but I don't want to spoil the story so I shall just say this - Some parts are sad, and sometimes a little distressing so tissues might also be needed. There are a few surprises and twists and turns in store too!

Forgive Me is a very emotional, gripping story full of suspense, drama and mystery. Lesley Pearse has once again created a story that will have you racing through the chapters and unable to put the book down. Try this!
0Comment| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 April 2013
One word...excellent from start to end! Cried my eyes out at times. From joy to sadness. Would definitely recommend !
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 12 March 2015
: I have never read a Lesley Pearce which I now realise was a huge mistake on my part. However, this gave me the added advantage of having no expectations when I started reading. The main character Eva Patterson is the lead character and the opening chapters put you firmly into the horrifying discovery Eva makes as she finds her mother following her suicide. It is this event that starts a chain reaction that is horrifying and I certainly didn’t expect from a book with some an endearingly beautiful cover.

Aside from her Mothers suicide it’s hard to mention anything else within the story for fear of spoiling it for others. As a reader you literally follow Eva throughout her life and as each new trauma unfolds you feel yourself willing her on and hoping that things turn out okay for her. It’s an extremely gripping book and I can honestly say buy the end of it I was certain that I needed to stock up on Lesley Pearse’s back catalogue.

From start to finish I was taken on an emotional rollercoaster and found myself utterly enthralled by this book. The cover (although beautiful) didn’t even give me the slightest hint that this book would be so full of drama and tension. I would truly recommend this book and am thrilled that I have discovered just how great an author she is. I am now eagerly looking forward to reading her other books.
on 17 June 2013
I really loved this book, I have all her books they are fantastic, once you start to read you will find it very hard to put the book down.
on 8 March 2013
I love Lesley Pearse, some of her books I have I've read again and again. This one however will not be read again. It was only ok.

I've read lots of the reviews and many people have said what a emotive book, well written characters, touching on depression and how it effects people. For me it was hard going, in places just plain boring. I didn't want to know in such detail about the decor of every room or the clothes people were wearing. This book made me feel bored and a bit miserable. It was as if Lesley has taken up a new hobby at home besides writing (interior design) and peppered the book with it.

I'm sure people who have suffered/suffer or know someone with depression found this book incredibly insightful.

It won't stop me reading Lesley's next book, just on this occasion, this book was not my cup of tea at all.
66 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 15 February 2013
This is an enthralling and vivid account of the devastating effects a tragic death can inflict upon a family. It is a moving novel full of mystery, emotional turmoil and suspense founded on a web of deceit and insecurity. The premeditated suicide of Flora is poignantly described in the prologue. She leaves a note with just 'Forgive Me' written on it. Flora has three children, Eva, almost 21, Ben 18, and Sophie 17. Her husband, Andrew, is a successful businessman, controlling, undemonstrative and lacking humour but reliable. Eva has the shocking experience of finding her mother in a bloodied bath.

The aftermath is a dramatic change in the family atmosphere. Sophie, has bouts of hysteria, Ben becomes sad and bewildered whilst Eva attempts to be strong and comforting. Andrew turns to drink, launching a vitriolic and scornful verbal attack on the stunned Eva accusing her of contrivance with her mother over the contents of her will in which Eva is left a studio in London. Eva reflects on the indifference her father had shown her in the past and also how so different her mother was from him. She realises how little she really knew of her loving mother's thoughts and ambitions nor about her past life. What went wrong and why did she kill herself? Eva is determined to find the answers little knowing that a can of worms would be opened and more puzzles thrown up than solved.

At Flora's funeral, Eva discovers from Flora's college friends that her mother was a successful and gifted artist. She was also tremendous fun, a party girl prone to mad cap ideas interspersed with episodes of hermit-like solemness. The information takes Eva to the London studio where she meets Bill, an honest rock of a man. Following discoveries hidden inside, Eva follows the clues and encrypted sketch diaries of her mother taking her to Scotland and then Carlisle where Eva becomes more enlightened about the unanswered questions that will hopefully satisfy her peace of mind and also her family's. Her travels involve encounters with engaging, sympathetic and helpful individuals, not without humour nor creating more emotional turbulence.

This is a beautifully and sensitively crafted novel by Lesley Pearse. Its winding narrative explores a spectrum of grief, depression, heart-breaking discoveries and surprises. The character development and complexities of the interpersonal relationships between the protagonists are masterfully drawn in a realistic and concise form. Eva is easily warmed to as are other trustworthy friends. Their strengths, weaknesses and secrets within are gradually unfolded and tied up again to provide explanations and provoke further thoughts. An extremely well-written and enjoyable book.
44 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 23 January 2014
I know nothing about Lesley Pearse but I am sure she is some sort of machine. She churns out compelling books one after another which her fans just eat up. If you're not a fan then they are worth trying but don't expect anything too challenging, great bit of escapism though.
on 25 October 2014
This is the second book I have read by this author having tremendously enjoyed her very moving tale in "Remember Me". The story in this book was quite different, although it continued to have a similar tendency to see-saw from one crisis to the next - I felt emotionally exhausted by the time I had finished it! The writer keeps you guessing and there are one or two surprises, but nothing too far-fetched. I found the characters to be believable, and I felt quite bereft at the end of the book. I shall have to go find another one by Lesley Pearce!
on 2 February 2016
this is the second time I have read this book but I still enjoyed reading it as much as I did the first time I think Lesley Pearse is a great writer and I have read all of her books, I would recommend this book to any one.
on 18 June 2014
Still crying! Simply the best story teller. I know it's not literary masterpieces Lesley Pearse writes, but if you want a gripping, enthralling, wonderful read, full of characters crafted to perfection, a journey with a truly vicarious hold, until turning the final page, this is it. I love the character detail, you become attached and I just couldn't' put this book down. I Love the surprises, the anticipation and never get tired of the the next breathtaking development. There are bits which feel a bit predictable, but to be honest I found that really satisfying. Anyway, if you want a good holiday read this summer, I highly recommend 'Forgive Me'. Xx