on 12 February 2016
This a real primer on Colombia. Topics are covered from a semi-academic standpoint, then anchored with the author's personal anecdotes and observations. I liked this format and was impressed with the ground covered in such a short book: the political scene, anthropology, the plight of the indigenous, cocaine, la violencia, the weather, the food and Colombia's prospects all get a good look-in, among others. The Kindle edition's footnotes (which cause you to lose your place) and the left-wing gloss that pervades the book are its only detractors.
on 3 September 2015
This is a fantastic book, well researched and well written, giving insight into past and present Colombia. I can't say much more than this book is an absolute must-read for anyone going to Colombia for work or travel. I read it while travelling around the country, as a bit of an education into the country and, although sceptical due to the author not being a "well known" writer, I was blown away by the information and the impact the book had on my view of the country. Unbiased, current and not dwelling heavily on the past, while still providing an in depth tour of the country's past. Well worth the price.
on 4 January 2013
It's refreshing to read a book about Colombia whose title does not include the words: death, evil, FARC, drugs etc. Just don't expect a hiking guide. The title really is ironic: Tom Feiling definitely does not just stay in and around the capital. Instead, he also goes out to explore places that until recent years might have been too dangerous to visit.

In this book the author's own experiences in Colombia are combined with snippets about the country's history, politics and culture in a very readable and intelligent way. Whilst Feiling certainly doesn't try to paint a romanticised and rosy picture of the country, the underlying feeling that comes across in the book is one of a real love for Colombia rather than an attempt to demonise it. You can tell the author understands Colombia well and this book is full of illuminating insight.

As someone who has lived there, I feel that it is a country whose complex reality is all too often simplified and misunderstood. Feiling has succeeded in writing a much more nuanced account about this complicated, diverse and - surprisingly for some - very human place.
on 24 September 2013
I bought this book because I was living in Bogota at the time the writer was there, (in fact I lived a block from the picture on the front cover, 3 years ago) and was interested in seeing his perspective of Colombia, and maybe learning a bit more about the place. The book didn't disappoint but he concentrated a lot on small towns and the violence that has been a part of Colombia for so long in these towns. I certainly expected a lot about this, but I would've liked a little more about the people and places that aren't affected by this so much. Only the parts in Bogota reminded me of the Colombia I knew and in my time in Colombia I met many people not directly affected by the violence.

For me he could've made the book longer and also talked about more places, and more of the big cities. Having said all that, it was an excellent read and it taught me a lot about some parts of Colombia that I knew nothing.
on 31 January 2017
If you are interested in Colombian history or politics or travel, then this is a wonderful account of recent Colombian history and the complex interaction of the army, the FARC, the paramilitaries and the political parties.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 November 2014
Brilliant. An insight into a painful reality of the never ending troubles that beautiful Colombia has endured. Tom Feiling not just travels into the heart of the countryside but into the fabric and the essence of Colombian culture. A Country blessed in natural resources, stunning landscapes and resilient people, all capable of creating a brighter future, if only they all work together to steer the country in the same direction. Too much inequality and too much energy spent in revenge.trying to take justice into their own hands.
on 29 May 2014
I know Colombia well, from extensively travelling its length and breadth from 2002 - present day and spending really enjoyable extended periods well off the beaten track. In every chapter, I learned from Feiling - and shared in his joys (and frustrations) from his exceptional writing and grasp of Colombia's complex paradoxes. This isn't a travel guide so you won't discover new places to stay, eat bandeja paisa or drink coffee. You will, however, gain valuable insight about Colombia and its people within its pages from an author who writes with relish.
on 5 December 2017
Feiling takes you on an authentic journey - unbiased, raw and truthful. Colombia illuminated in the light is deserves.
on 3 January 2016
Great book. I used to live in Bogota and it took me back to the places I used to visit as well as taking me on a journey to dangerous palces I could never visit when I lived there. The idea of using a walk as the central construct gives the book a nice rhythm.
on 22 January 2015
Colombian travel books are few and far between but this is a well written gem The author combines his descriptive ability with a detached but apparently informed perspective. The account of recent politics is particularly readable No visitor to colombia should set without this account in their mental baggage