Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 July 2015
Always a good read from this author
on 6 March 2001
Mabye it's just me, but as much as I love Catherine Alliott's books, the main character, Tessa, in "The Real Thing" was absolutely irritating and annoying. Catherine Alliott writes some great stuff and is very witty, but Tess...I was secretly hoping that she would get what she deserved, and not the "happy" ending she got.
on 2 July 2006
I have read Rosie Meadows Regrets and truly adored it. So it was with much anticipation that I picked up The Real Thing. Unfortunately, I am completely with the first two reviewers; in fact it is not often in my consumption of Chic Lit that I want the heroine to come to a sticky end, but my God how thick and self-obsessed was she? If you want to work up some annoyance it is probably worth reading. If you want a giggle and a deserved happy ending, read Rosie Meadows Regrets.
on 5 December 2009
If it hadn't been for a couple of landmark Alliott flashes of humour, I would had dumped this book in the 1-star pile. Tess is so unbelievably spoiled and horrid, with such a dysfunctional family, yet hanging on to a wonderful husband and normal children. The twists and turns come far too quickly at the end and the story hangs together on the most slender of ideas.

It could have been great... but wasn't.
on 3 March 2015
What an awful woman! I really wasn't bothered about reading to the end of this book as I really didn't care what happened to her! Would have preferred an unhappy ending if I'm truthful! The twists and turns in the plot were rather predictable and somewhat unrealistic.
Stereotypical housewife, au pair, hard working, high earning husband, no money worries etc, etc, etc. have read other books by this author and enjoyed them, maybe this was just a blip!
on 20 January 2013
There were flashes of wit and some funny scenes but it just went on and on in the same vein. Some brutal editing would have vastly improved this book.
I discovered Catherine Alliott a few months ago after reading The Secret Life of Evie Hamilton. I've read and loved several others since. This was clearly one of her early books and anyone choosing this as a first should not be put off.
on 17 October 2013
I have read a lot of CA's books, granted this isn't one of my favorites but it is a good story and well written and doesn't deserve some of the 1* and 2* that a few of the reviews have given. I did find Tess a little annoying and felt so sorry for her husband bless him, but i still enjoyed the story and this is 4* book without a doubt. I would recommend it to friends.
on 10 June 2014
Up to the usual excellent standard of Catherine Alliott. Any author that can make you laugh out loud at regular intervals, while still maintaining a great storyline is in my opinion not to be missed.
on 12 January 2014
I really like this writer, and find that there is always something to interest me in her books. Well worth reading.
on 29 December 2002
The Real Thing was my first Catherine Alliott read; she came highly recommended, but this book proved a tremendous disappointment. The book was well-written enough, but like a previous reviewer, I found the main character off-putting in the extreme. Her intense selfishness and nasty behavior made me long for her comeuppance, but alas, she was granted an undeserved happy ending. The fact that the book was written in the first person, from her point of view, only accentuated her utter self-obsession. I know the real world is full of such people, but hey, isn't this supposed to be fun escapist fiction?!