on 6 August 2017
I won't be the last to review this book, I'm sure, although it is a little old now, and I won't be the only one to comment on the certain obvious shortcomings, but I'm still willing to write this because I think this is one of those enduring insights that stand the test of time and deserves to be kept in mind.

Is it true that you can get almost all the sense of this from the TED talk? Well, yes ... almost. But watching a TED talk is such a transitory experience that it doesn't really (IMHO) prompt you to pause, think about it, re-read sections and take it in stages. Reading a book engages your leetle grey cells, and this one deserves that.

Does Sinek over-rely on Apple as an example? Well, yes, (and as others have observed, this can become irksome) but there are others (I especially liked the before and after case study of Walmart) and it certainly accords with my own experience when I sit back and think about it.

Is it a bit long? Well, again, perhaps a tad, but it didn't feel overly long or onerous to read.

Bottom line: I enjoyed the read, I really liked the concept and the way he lays it out and I'm glad I spent the 3 or 4 hours on it that I did, as it certainly helped me understand organisational (and personal) life better.
on 18 October 2017
Well, I'm on page 50 and I'm not sure if I'm reading about WHY or Apple? There seems to be a relentless bombardment of relation to Apple and its starting to drive me mad! The picture I took of a random page, just to prove, shows the word Apple three times! Don't get me wrong, Simon is incredible and I've read a book or two of his BUT why relate to Apple all too frequently? What might his view be on the factories in China which hold the biggest workforce and potentially contradicts "WHY". There is documented proof, of this so called innovative company, that employees are extremely over-worked. To the point they're falling asleep at their work station. They're committing suicide, due to depression etc etc, to which big nets have been placed outside of the compound dorms and workers have to sign a contract to state they won't kill themselves!? I bet that's an interest read! A workers wage of approximately £230 a month is not even comparable to that of one new phone sold. Okay, that last statement might be irrelevant to some... but still my question stands, what might Simon think of this rusty cog? The rusty cog that isn't allowed to break and will be held together through any means necessary, because a shiny new one would chomp at the continuing profits! If not the profit, then WHY is it happening? "If it's not broke, don't fix it" said the man sat behind his desk, at the top of the mountain. The view from the summit looks fantastic but can you see the mountains foundation through the clouds? Do you care? Its a long way away after all. Well... you might if it starts crumbling.
review image
on 27 November 2017
I love Sinek's talks and although there is wisdom, points to take away and actions you can use in this book I did find that it was a lot of pages which can be condensed down into about five. I find the same thing with a lot of these books. Really, you can just watch the various YouTube videos to get the major points from this book and learnings. However, he does offer some interesting examples and working case studies. Like I said, it does contain a lot of unnecessary drool to get some simple points across and repetition of messages.
on 25 October 2017
First 5 chapters made the same point repeatedly and could have been in one. He obsesses about Apple, which is a fundamentalism to which I don't subscribe much as the original i-anything was cutting edge, selling the same thing umpteen times as an 'upgrade'... anyway, I digress. So far - and I confess I have given up I am so bored - the same few exemplar companies and concepts have come up again and again. So while a good friend of mine raves, it is Habit 2 of the 7 expanded upon to death with little added.
on 13 January 2017
The concept is valid, the examples are interesting but the book is so repetitive. There's enough content for a book one third of the size; the rest is padding. Watch the TED talk and you'll get the point.
on 9 September 2017
An absolute must read. Simon is so inspirational, I love the way he uses real history to bring his ideas to life. The book while a little repetitive at times is a constantly changing message of inspiration & positivity. Beautifully written for anyone to comprehend. I personally downloaded the audio book & read along as Simon reads it. You just can't beat his passion & enthusiasm.
on 21 October 2017
A great read and shows the early evolution before leaders eat last. If you want to know anything about cultural anthropology Simon Sinek is the man. This man is a true genius.

This book really took my thinking in a new direction looking into brain chemistry, why we repeat behaviours, why we act one way around one person and differently around others.
review image
on 18 July 2017
The reviews are correct, it does get a little (if not a lot) overbearing to continuously see WHY, HOW, WHAT every single time the word comes up - I mean, every time. However, the most important part of this book, and like any book is, does it make an impact and will it change HOW you think? The answer for me is yes. Understanding WHY more than HOW (now i'm making fun) has made me see my small business differently, and the next business I set up will be run exactly why I wanted to start it. Profits are not the aim; profits are a result of what you sell through marketing why you sell it. People don't buy what you do they buy why you do it. It's an inspiring read.
on 20 November 2017
Simon, you're then best. Seriously if I didn't find that viral talk of yours I would have missed on some really good reading.
What you describe and explain for business philosophy seems so obvious yet overlooked. Being a 17 year old A-level student in the UK who has applied for medical school I found that your book as catalysed an already burning ember.
If you want a book on WHAT makes a buissness successful and HOW they become successful, then you need to start with WHY, and by extension this book.
Even if you have no interest in buissness, Simon's casing of light on why people fail and succeed can be applied in any situation.
VINE VOICEon 2 August 2013
This is a good book based around a simple idea. I think it's based on Kierkegaard's saying, "whoever has a why to live will find a how to live"

This book argues for setting out the prupose and function of any project and then getting into the detail. It's a simple idea, but in the midst of busy working lives it is amazing how often proximate issues about how to do something develop and seem to lose any connection to the overall function or purpose needing to be achieved. The relationships between the many silos in the NHS exemplify this well and this explains why the NHS collectively achieves much less than the sum of its parts suggests it could achieve.

This book re-emphasises the old saying "Form follows function" which seems so basic- yet which we need reminding about so often. This book is a useful reminder to us.