Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 August 2017
Good
Alex uses her grave magic to raise shades from dead bodies, these shades have all of the memories that the person had and she is often asked to use her ability to help the police solve murders. When the police contact her they usually have the whole body though. This time all they have is a mysterious pile of left feet and no idea how the people they belonged to were killed. Alex agrees to help but how can she solve the murders when they don't even know who the victims are?

I really enjoyed Grave Witch, the first book in Kalayna Price's Alex Craft series so had high hopes for Grave Dance and picked it up immediately after finishing the first book. I wasn't disappointed and if anything this book was even more action packed than the last. It definitely had me turning the pages and I was annoyed when anything interrupted my reading time - after all who needs sleep when there's a good book to be read?

In Grave Witch we are introduced to two very different potential love interests and while I didn't think I'd enjoy another triangle the author managed to convince me otherwise and I found it impossible to choose between Falin and Death. Although I'm enjoying the triangle I was a little nervous that it might start to take over the majority of the story line so I was pleased to see that didn't happen. This book focuses much more on the investigation into the random body parts that the police keep finding. It also lets us discover much more about Alex's abilities as a grave witch and her family history. We learn a lot more about the Fae realms and the Winter Queen's Court and I'm very curious to see where the series takes us next. The story steams along at a great pace and had plenty of twists and unexpected surprises to keep me guessing at the outcome.

To go back to the triangle I'm pretty sure I've decided - Team Death! Although we still don't know as much about Death as I'd like we do know more than enough to pique my interest. He may be a mystery man but I feel like he is being as honest as he can be with Alex and I can't say the same for Falin. When Death keeps quiet about something I feel like he has a good reason to but with Falin it comes across like he has something to hide. I like Falin but at the moment I don't trust him to have Alex's best interests at heart. I may be proved wrong in the future but either way I'm looking forward to seeing more of all 3 characters.

Grave Dance is another great instalment to what is shaping up to be a fabulous new urban fantasy series and it's one I'm looking forward to continuing. If you're looking for a story full of magic and mayhem with a strong heroine who can kick ass but who has to pay a price for using her powers then this will be right up your street and it's a series that I'm very happy to recommend.
on 8 December 2011
This was an excellent follow up to the first book, which I really enjoyed. I sometimes worry when I've loved the first book in a series that the next one(s) will pale in comparison. In this case, I needn't have worried.

The mystery element here really had me stumped. I thought I had it all figured out right until the end, and there was the baddy, with his/her back to me and I'm thinking, I've totally got this, then they turn around and.... doh! Looks like I'm not quite as much of a smarty pants as I thought, huh? I love that I was surprised and thought it was really cleverly written.

Alex's character had time to shine in this one a bit more than the first book as well. I don't think I really mentioned much about her as a lead character in my first review, I was too busy being all excited about the world-building and cool magical abilities and such, but she is a good leading lady: strong in her magic, honest, loyal, fierce, free and open with her opinions of others, both good and bad. And I can see why people are drawn to her.

Lets not say the words "love triangle" because they upset me, and really, that's not the case here at all, BUT, but there is more than one person who thinks Alex is the bee's knees in this series. One of them is just lovely, and seems to have really deep feelings for Alex, but I just can't see any possible way that it could work out between them. The other is a bit more of a conundrum, both to Alex and to us as a reader. He has his secrets and loyalties that lie elsewhere, and these make him a risky choice. But he's, like, all yummy and stuff..... I just don't know what I think at this point other than that I like both of them for very different reasons.

I can't wait for the next next book, Grave Memory (write faster dammit!) and really hope this series continues to keep up this high standard for many books to come.
on 30 March 2012

The mystery element here really had me stumped. I thought I had it all figured out right until the end, and there was the baddie, with his/her back to me and I'm thinking, I've totally got this, then they turn around and.... doh! Looks like I'm not quite as much of a smarty pants as I thought, huh? I love that I was surprised and thought it was really cleverly written.

Another great offering from this para/supernatural author. In this second book the writer seems to have ironed out the slight issues in the first book, which was also very good by the way, and in doing so created a stronger story. The set of characters are strong, believable and make the reader want to know more about them. The first book Grave Witch ended with a revelation for Alex which explains why she is of such immense interest to the supernaturals around her. She is spunky and doesn't pretend to be something she isn't. I really like her relationship with Death, that is def. a concept that is one of the most interesting I have read in a while. Having Death have a thing for you in a romantic sense opens up a whole new world of possibilities. Highly recommend this series.
on 8 September 2011
This is the second book in the Alex Craft series. I absolutely loved the first book so I had very high expectations for this one and the author did a great job of meeting them . . . mostly.

When several left feet are discovered Alex, a grave witch, is called in by the police to consult as she can raise the spirit of the dead to find out what happened to them. The problem is with so little body Alex cant do her job. Alex has also recently found out that she is feykin and is trying to figure out what that means for her life. With the help of her friends, the yummy winter fey queens knight and the delectable soul collector she calls Death, Alex must find out what is happening and fast!

This book was a little slow to start for me and to be honest I'm not entirely sure why, I simply struggled but once I got passed the first few chapters I was as hooked as I was with the first booked. The action flows brilliantly and the characters are great, Alex is particularly likeable for me as she is so normal and flounders when she is shoved into unusual situations which makes it more realistic for me. Falin is a puzzle for me I honestly can't decide if I like him or not and I'm not entirely sure it's not because I'm a little bit in love with Death, the soul collector, but I would like to have seen more of him and I was expecting more of a development in the relationship between Alex and Death.

Overall I really enjoyed the second installment of this series. It is a great urban fantasy story with action, mystery, emotion and intrigue! I am looking forward to the next Alex Craft tale.
Alex has a new job, but it’s difficult to raise the ghost of a possible murder victim if you only have a foot to work with rather than a whole body. As the story line unfolds Alex interacts with a growing number of Fae characters and has to make adjustments in her life to meet new obligations. Her relationships with Falin and Death remain complicated and conflicted; however I have a clear favourite and hope she ends up with Death. Falin’s loyalties lie elsewhere (not that he has a choice) and no matter how much he likes Alex, the number one woman in his life is his Queen.

There are a fair few murders in this book, and although they aren’t gory, there is a disturbing feel to them. When Alex uncovers the reasons behind the feet she finds, I was left with a severe case of the heebie jeebies. This series is a great find for fans of dark urban fantasy with a unique heroine whose very gift which makes her so powerful also ultimately leaves her very vulnerable.
on 17 July 2011
I loved this book and could not put it down, it was fast paced and kept my attention. I really enjoyed the first book in the series but I liked this one more.

The book has a lot going on, but it still flowed smoothly and everything seemed to tie-up well by the end. About a month has passed since the events in the last book. The book starts off similar to the last, with Alex raising the dead & working with the PD to unravel a paranormal murder mystery. With her love life in turmoil, Alex is eager for the distractions of work. But when her new case forces her to overuse her magic, it might be the last mystery the Grave Witch ever gets to solve. About a quarter of the way through, the plot expands to the interesting world of Faerie and the sexy FIB agent, Falin, and of course the hot enigma-Death.

I couldn't help but get carried away with this Fantasy heavy plot. Lots of different genres converge within this series, which could have easily become muddled with too many subplots. Fortunately, Price does a superb job of keeping everything straight and moving along until the very end. Excellent World-Building & riveting plots, I cannot wait to read the next book.
on 25 January 2013
It's the first Kalayna Price book I've read, so I had no expectations, I wanted a diversion, something easy and quick to read, not taxing on the brain, but with enough story and narrative to hold my interest, and this was perfect! The characters were interesting, with enough descriptive background to give them credibility, the story line clever and the slightly macabre content, (with most of the action played around the dead or the different) was handled in a way which intrigued but didn't horrify. The world the heroine occupies is given enough substance to make it appear "normal" but the threat of dark magic was always there, and the love interest sounded fascinating!, The book should appeal to many female fantasy addicts looking for something to read while working hard!
I've purchased the second in the series, and hope it's as much fun as the first!.
Having loved the clever way that the author created the world to which Alex Craft inhabits I couldn't wait to see what would occur with the love triangle and wonderfully dark scenarios' that the character ends up in. What occur's in this, the second outing, is a story that will lead the reader to wonder about the interactions within, some cracking character development and a story that will weave itself into the readers heart as the emotional and the physical collide in a tale that leads the reader to wonder what is the lesser evil.

Add to this an author who has upped her game from the first outing, some wonderful adaptation backed up with a kickass heroine who won't let go once she gets the bit between her teeth, backed up with some great backstory and the reader is in for a high octane tale. Cracking.