Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 November 2016
I was given this book for Christmas 1969 and I still own it and use it frequently - although more for just checking my memory over some detail. these days. Its pages have browned and cracked over the years but is still usable (just) I might well replace it at some point. A friend who was staying with me recently asked me to copy out 2 recipes for her. As my arthritic hands find typing accurately a real pain I decided to buy her a copy instead - the one I have just bought.

It is a real classic and gives clear and easy to follow instructions for many basic processes which are invaluable for the less experienced and which are the foundation for a lifetime of cooking. The only gripe I have with this particular edition is that the text is so tiny in this later edition than mine which I had not seen before. It does not fit too well with contemporary notions of healthy eating given the richness of the recipes but should be useful for so many classic recipes, the foundations of cooking with a desire for attention to detail and the goal of perfection, as well as occasional treats.
on 8 August 2016
The best cookbook I've read. It has become our reference manual for nearly all elementary cooking techniques. The clarity in writing and exposition of multi-step and multi-stage recipes is superb, and you can't fail to make excellent hollandaise sauce or mayonnaise with these instructions. The occasional sprinkling of humour is also greatly appreciated.
on 9 December 2015
Wonderful books! I've wanted these for ages, but somehow never got around to getting them until now. Being an English cook, this is still useful for me, and as I've just retired, I am forming a plan to start working my way through sections, to see how I do. Arrived on time, well packed as usual.
on 18 December 2015
Indispensable. My old paperback copy, which had been a companion for most of a lifetime, so frequently consulted and full of homemade references, could no longer hold together. I needed a replacement. I don't know any other cooking book where I can get such instructive information on ingredients, variations, methods, processes and principles of classic recipes. And just simply good advice.
on 10 April 2017
The problem is I meant to buy volume 2!! I have now done this. I have had both books for years and replaced volume one a few years back but my volume 2 was falling to bits through overuse. However the new edition has been brought up to date and so I am happy that both have now been replace. The speed of delivery was excellent
on 6 May 2010
Having read most of the reviews of this book I had no hesitation in buying the paperback, but now regret not buying it in hardback. Sent the hardback edition to my grandaughter, an excellent cook, for her birthday and she is delighted with it.
So many hints and tips that as a very long-time home cook were news to me and I only wish I had known about them years ago.

Pat
on 9 March 2017
Great books, fun woman. Goooood food!
on 5 April 2017
The ultimate guide to cooking
on 20 July 2011
I bought the paperback edition of this book a few months ago, after having watched the film (of course!). And I must say I didn't expect it to be this good: I didn't really believe I could cook anything French. I still don't know if I can (as I haven't been to France), but what I do cook from Child's recipes tastes really good. I love the way the ingredients are listed (in the order they are to be used), I love the information on preparing certain parts of the dish in advance, the giving of reasons why one should or shouldn't do this and that, the exhaustive explanations on each step of the recipe, and I love the witty comments on various things, which make the book an enjoyable reading instead of a mere cookbook. Therefore, Nigella Lawson's books (which for me are the total opposite of this book - no explanations and no satisfactory results) are gathering dust on my shelves, and this one has been in constant use lately. I'm neither English nor American, so I'm not used to Fahrenheit degrees, pints, pounds, ounces and so on, but there are tables for conversion in the book itself, and the internet will provide whatever was left out of the tables (not that I've found anything missing so far).

Print quality is not so good, letters are quite small, the text densely packed on the pages, the paper not so white, and the soft cover prone to water or sauce damage. The book is small and thick and doesn't stay open by itself. But on the other hand, it wasn't expensive, so for me all these physical details are not really an object of complaint. The book is written with a great sense of humour, the recipes detailed and easy to use, the dishes I've cooked are tasty, so for me there's nothing more to ask for!
on 10 July 1998
I have been using this book, and it's companion Volume 2, for over 20 years. It is by far the best cookbook for French cuisine on the market. The clear, step-by-step directions, with extensive illustrations, carefully guide you through each recipe. It teaches all of the basic techniques required to become proficient in the greatest cuisine in the world.
Try Julia's chocolate mousse and you'll never use another recipe,(but you will have to walk it off). I'm ordering a replacement copy from Amazon because my original is has been so used the binding has fallen apart! I wouldn't be without it.
0Comment| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse