Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 August 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a great book if you need cheering up and want to get motivated. It might however, make you rethink your day-job and go freelance!

Essentially it's a book of 80 platitudes and well-worn concepts, but there's a grain of truth in all of them. Nothing however is given great depth, it's rather a distillation of many business-lifestyle guru books out there. Nothing wrong with that though.

Presentation is excellent - glossy paper, small format, feels well "designed". That feel obviously wouldn't come across in the kindle edition.
VINE VOICEon 1 September 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The presentation of this book is impressive. Wave its shiny cover around at work and people will expect to see something different in your behaviour. I don't think you will find enough in here to get you started. I have found it a useful tool for reflecting on when I take the initiative and when I choose to keep quiet. I've not taken any specific advice from it that I hadn't heard before, so perhaps best to borrow a copy rather than buy one.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book was not at all what I was expecting, and I was not sure that I liked it at first. It found it a bit tacky and basic to start with and didn't expect to finish it. I was perhaps being overly judgemental. However, it grew on me, and the more I read, the more it grew on me. I also liked the quality of the cover and paper. It feels good quality in your hand and looks very good, which added to the pleasure of reading it.

It's not ground-breaking information, but it is helpful. Some of the chapters are barely a couple of paragraphs, but I have to admit the short, snappy style grew on me. Some of the advice provided is helpful for life in general rather than about thriving at work. I started to notice a spiritual theme running through the chapters and much of this really resonated with me; I think this is why it grew on me. Once I was half way through, I really wanted to keep reading and see what other interesting concepts the author was bringing to me. Some ideas were making me think twice, and some were getting me to see things in a different light, so it has certainly served its purpose for me. I will be keeping this little gem on my desk to dip into now and then.
VINE VOICEon 23 October 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
For me this didn't give me anything new or different to think about. I feel there are better books about, particularly the work of Ed Foreman's good and bad days. Having said that, there are some handy hints. The style of the book is "light" and reader friendly, which I quite liked, but the content needed more depth to it.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Not for those who want a deep thorough book on resilience and learned optimism. Try Linchpin by Seth Godin. However for those who have a day from hell and need a quick shot of advice or motivation I think this book can work. If you already know a bit and have experienced the ups and downs of business life, you probably won't learn much. However I don't often think that's the point of books like this. It's the stuff you already know reflected back at you in a sensible way that jolts you and makes you take a step back, reflect and regroup.

This is structured in a way that expects dip in and is formatted to give quick headlines and bite size learning. Not everyone's cup of tea, but a good example of its kind. No self help business book ever lives up to the subtitle, by the way, and this is no exception. But to give a smile and a sanity check? Works for me.
VINE VOICEon 24 November 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I liked Shine, and its premise. But its worthiness of being a full "volume" of a book remains in question.

It is essentially a tome of inspirational snippets, meant for the over-encumbered professional to dip in and out of during the day (or week, or month, depending on how quickly life is zipping past you).

I am not sure of the value of this as a book - okay it is small, and easily kept in a desk drawer or by a computer, and easily there for light relief (much like Manny in Black Books abuses the Little Book of Calm). But it is not very wordy, the text is unnecessarily huge in places, and much less than giving the book impact, it makes it appear fleshed out and unprofessional.

The only thing saving this from 2 stars was the fact that it wasn't completely full of cliche. Would be much better presented as a day-calendar for the desk!
on 14 October 2011
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The book is written and presented in a style that's automatically engaging - the writing is easy-going and the chapters are bite-sized. This makes it both quick to read and easy to take on board what the author is saying, but it also gave the whole book a sense of being pretty lightweight since it doesn't go into detail about any one point in particular.

Although there are some interesting pieces about interacting with colleagues and conducting meetings, I found that the bulk of the advice was simple common sense.
on 5 July 2011
There's no two ways about it this book Kicks Ass...no wait that was Chris Barez-Brown's last book which was totally rocking to. This book is an inspiration. I've used it has a sit and read and absorb in a sort of self-reflecting 'hey man be groovy' kinda of way, I've used it in a 'goddam it stop the world there has to be someone talking some sense out there' kinda way, and I've used it in the 'oi so I'm emailing you this link coz at the very least it's gonna make you giggle while your micro managing moron of a boss thinks you're working' kind of a way.

I've found Chris' books and ESPECIALLY this one to be not only the proper breath of fresh air I need during my working day but a genuine source of inspiration. The message for me being very simple. Learn it, Love it, make it happen.

Enjoy!
on 10 April 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a light and readable book, packed with pithy snippets, that are succinct and useful, but sometimes feel glib and cliched. The advice and tone is generally sensible, but not earth-shatteringly revealing. I fear that though this book is user friendly, it lacks depth and meat. So this may be useful starting point for some, I suspect for most there is nothing new.
on 13 January 2013
At the time of writing this, there are 49 other reviews of this book ranging from love to hate. I read many of these prior to buying the book and admit the negative reviews nearly put me off buying it. However, I did buy it as I was looking for inspiration for defining a 'personal brand' at work. I should say upfront that I take the corporate life, books on success in business and even the concept of 'personal brand' with a heavy pinch of salt, but I was impressed with this book. Both the positive and negative reviews are fair; the book can be inspirational but it can also be pithy. However, what the book doesn't do is take itself too seriously and that's why it works.

Overall, the strength of the book is the short punchy chapters and the overall positive message about how to approach work. I found it helped me think about how I come across at work and what I can do to change this image. It also provided me with a daily dose of positivity. By dipping in at random when I felt my energy levels flagging, it usually made me smile and gave me an energy boost to tackle difficult days. I now keep it in my work bag for exactly these moments.

People will make their own minds up about this book, but I would say the three main reasons to buy it are it's positivity, ease of use and the fact that it doesn't take itself too seriously