Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Click Here Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 October 2015
not started read yet but payne and jones are awesome so I know this will be too.[I'm a fan]
on 3 October 2010
I am a fan of Chris Kuzneski but this time I feel let down. I just can't get myself to finish the book. It is full of tedious banter between the main characters and little action. Feels like a book written because something had to be written instead of being written through sheer enthusiasm, if that makes any sense. The book is awkward, does not flow well, it misses the imagery that his other books had. I am very sorry to disagree with the other readers who found it gripping from the first page and a real page-turner. To me it is not. And the only reason I am writing this review is because I know Chris can do so much better (as proven by The Plantation, Sign of the Cross and The Lost Throne and even Sword of God despite its rushed ending.)

I will try to finish the book, but my heart isn't in it. Still I did appreciate the humour in the start when the artefact turns to be ... and the shameless but cute plug of the Italian release of The Lost Throne. Who knows, there may be surprises, yet... I hope there are, hence the 3 star rating.
on 25 April 2011
This was the first Kuzneski novel that I've read and it will definitely be the last.

I was intrigued by the mixed reviews for this book, and in particular the number of negative reviews written by people who had enjoyed the author's previous novels. Given how bad this is, though, I'm now more puzzled than ever as to how anything that Kuzneski has written could possibly be half decent - and I have no intention of wasting more money on buying the earlier titles in an attempt to find out.

The writing here is juvenile, predictable and plodding; the characters are one dimensional stereotypes who are are utterly unbelievable; and the "banter" between the main characters - who are supposed to be veteran, elite soldiers - is of the level that would make the average 14 year schoolboy squirm with embarrassment.

Like other readers, I finished the book in the forelorn hope that it must get better.....it didn't.

There are lots of good books of this genre out there. Avoid this one!
on 21 January 2011
What a poor novel. Plot, characters and writing are far from what I'd expect from a book publisher like Penguin. Didn't the editor(s) mention to Mr Kuzneski that his main character's side kick, Jones, was an irritating pain in the arse? Nearly every line he utters is a wise-crack or poorly delivered joke. Hell, I'd have killed him. Way to go, annoy your reader.

Nearly every revelation is hearlded by a similar literary mechanism. The person with the knowledge is prompted by Payne, get on with it, and the response is, I will, but let me tell you about this first... Annoy your reader.

Plodding, actionless, dull. Save your money or go buy, Rollins, Preston, Bourne...

My first dip into the works of Kuzneski, will be my last. How anybody could give this novel anything more than 2 stars is beyond me.
on 16 October 2010
I have read all of his books and enjoyed them and the main characters. Unfortunately this book was not as good as his previous books. The begininning dragged and he went into too many explanations about the main characters.It picked up in the last third of the book but overall a bit of a disappointment . Comes way down in the list after JamesRollins,SteveBerry and Raymond Khoury.
on 25 February 2011
Having read previous books by this author and having not been deterred from the other bad reviews I feel gutted to have spent money on a book that at best is below average. The story was not very well put together, it didn't,t really flow and the ending was the worse part. If I had to give it some credit this would be the kings grotto sounded interesting. The banter between the characters was too much and not funny at all, it was as if the banter tried to make up for the poor story but instead it added to the already poor quality excuse for a book. Overall I feel ripped off.
on 3 August 2017
good
on 3 February 2011
I have read all bar one of the Payne & Jones books, (being The Plantation). As much as I love the banter and commaradarie of Payne/Jones and with each book it feels I am revisiting old friends, I did find this one lacking the thrills, spills, drama and action of the other books. Maybe because it was set in Germany(!) but I expected the main villan to do a lot more chasing (trying not to give too much away here) but there was only really one bit of action. Agree with one reviewer, it was boring and slow. Such a shame.
on 6 February 2011
this is the third book i have read by this author and although i quite enjoyed the previous ones i was a little uncertain; this one has made my mind up for me; the writing is poor, the constant banter between the two main characters is just childish and the plot poor; about a quarter of it is taken up with a battle and chase through the mountains with constant reference to 'goons' so i think the best thing to do with this is bin it.
on 1 October 2010
I just recently purchased this on Kindle, and while I love all his books, this ones wasn't his best work. It still has the whole Payne and Jones characters, but the story I felted lacked. Also it seemed to have cut one story short while exploring the other and the whole gun battle was just a bit long winded in 3 chapters. But over all, I still enjoyed reading the book and look forward to his next one.