Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 December 2016
If you've pinned your colours to the mast and regularly watch one football team, you'll surely see Nick Hornby's obsessions, passions and eccentricities in yourself like I did. Doesn't matter if you don't support the Arse. Even Spurs fans can enjoy this book!
on 7 June 2014
One of the best books I have ever read and -believe me- I've read many in my life. It deals with a fan's life, but it is about human beings in general. Nick Hornby's ability to dig into his own obsession is almost worth while of a psychology essay, without dismissing the pleasure of reading though.
on 29 January 2014
I am a football fan and a Nick Hornby fan so I was very curious to read this book. Football fan surely love it but I think also people who aren't should read it! It's a nice trip into an amazing sport and shows how all football supporters should behave...
on 12 July 2014
BEST FOOTBALL BOOK EVER. OUTSTANDING.
on 3 February 2013
Best book about football ever. Not sure my girlfriend appreciates it in the same way that I do. But good value all the same
on 15 November 2014
Have finally got round to reading this book. Amazing and as a fellow football addict, most football fans will see themselves in this book - must read!!
on 10 August 2014
Absolutely loved it! I watch football frequently but am not a fan as such but that is beside the point. This book is so beautifully written that I had a big sense of loss when I ended while on holiday (with no access to any other book that I liked, I started re-reading it with pleasure). It is way more than a book about football and gives you an insight into the lives of fans but more importantly to part of life in the UK. I had read other books from Hornby (Long way down, How to be good and About a boy) all of which I liked but none anywhere to the same degree. Would recommend it very highly.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 1 July 2016
Nick Hornby’s account of his fanatical support of the Arsenal football team rightly attracted the praise of literary critics on its publication in 1992 and, as a book that I have reread on many occasions since, it has lost none of its perceptive qualities (particularly around the male psyche) and very little of its relevance. As a contemporary of Hornby, I did wonder whether the man still follows his team with quite the same degree of ‘life or death seriousness’ (my own interest in football having waned over the years) and he makes plenty of pertinent points around the changing nature of the game going into the 1990s (the advent of all-seater stadia, the rising cost of admission and, hence, the changing social demography of the crowd). Whatever, the book is still packed full of moments of hilarity (and, given the nature of the obsession, tragedy!), often, of course, derived from the obsessive, blinkered, masochistic maleness of his passion. If I had to pick one highlight from the book it would be Hornby’s analysis of what makes for a 'perfect’ match (from a spectator’s perspective), ditching the possibility of free-flowing football on a gloriously sunny afternoon, in favour of dodgy refereeing decisions, muddy pitches, sendings-off, player punch-ups, missed penalties, noisy crowds and (of course) goals (preferably, your team coming from two goals down to win). It’s still magical stuff!
on 4 June 2012
This was the first football fan narrative, and remains one of the best - if not the best. Nick Hornby takes us through his life as an Arsenal supporter from his first games in the 1960s to the early 1990s. Football is the central thread, although Hornby also describes his own childhood and early adulthood. It is a tale that many football fans will find familiar - obsession, depression, moments of joy. The book ends just as the Premier League was created in 1992, so Hornby's memoir now harks back to a seemingly-distant time before money and foreign owners took over the running of our biggest clubs, changing football forever. Fever Pitch is often copied but rarely matched.
on 26 January 2013
This is a book for sports fans , not just football fans . If you love a sports fan and don't understand their passion this book will shed some light. And if you do love sport you will love this book because it shows you why you are the way you are. Oh, the film's great....but read the book first.