on 15 November 2015
A truly refreshing book that one can open up at any page ...and find themselves transported down somewhere into our beautiful English countryside , to be delighted by our author as he chatters and points out heart warming things along the way .
on 12 August 2014
Very promising start. Felt very inspired and excited by the introduction and the opening chapter, but the writing has tailed off a bit and it's lost it's sparkle a little. I've lost interest about half way through. I thought It was going to be a real spiritual, emotional journey but it's just a travelog, really. Still quite entertaining and I pick it up every now and then. The writing is still good, but the story has lost something in the telling.
Quite thought provoking, very readable and interesting tales.
on 24 September 2013
I get the sense that Macfarlane is an absolute fruitcake, at times ... bathing in freezing cold ponds and streams, walking barefoot, sleeping out in rain, sub-zero temperatures, midge swarms and the like ... but I love his erudition (his references to all sorts of historical, cultural and literary details are fascinating) and he always makes me want to visit the places he describes. Additionally, he has solid eco credentials and should be read for these, if nothing else.
on 5 March 2015
I love this book.. Robert Macfarlane takes you with him on the wildest places, his description is almost poetic. I have not quite finished the book yet, as I savour each page, and do not want it to end! Anyone who loves being in nature and exploring Britain will I am certain love this book too.
on 31 March 2014
I am currently studying this book for A level English Literature. It is truly a remarkable book full of wonders! I was fortunate enough to have Robert Macfarlane visit my school, and he a wonderful man, not the typical nature man you would expect! But this powerful and passionate book is packed with stories based on geography, history, myth, religion and the 'natural world'. This book certainly proves that 'walking enables ways of feeling, being and knowing' by building up a relationship with the path, which then acts as a gateway to the self. Once you read this, it is impossible to walk in the same way again! Macfarlane is simply incredible with his supreme intelligence, it's written beautifully! Imaginative, creative and utterly magnificent! Most definitely a must read!
on 17 February 2018
Fascinating book, not easy to come by, thankyou
on 3 February 2018
Brilliant I so enjoyed this book, perfect reading, wonderful descriptive evocative writing.
on 24 March 2015
So much learnt here and so much felt without leaving the house - the prose is luscious - descriptive in ways that mean you can tilt your head and think - "Oh yes - I can just see that" when you never have the ability to use that language yourself! Darn him.
on 25 June 2017
Enthralling. It made me want to put on my boots and pick up my rucksack Immediately
on 12 May 2017
A book that was full of detail and thought provoking themes thank you.