on 20 December 2017
I sadly suspect that those who need and would benefit most from the book will not read it. There are some, who are feeling low, who'll undoubetdly benefit. But the major proponents and causes of Status Anxiety will carry on thrusting their image and persona of societal success upon those who feel anxious about keeping up.

For me, just understanding the modern manifestation of what is now partly a social-media driven curse helps enormously. Being able to disconnect and easily deal with blatant social status-driven behaviour is simpler and more rewarding.
on 27 February 2014
This book put into words my anxiety and dissatisfaction regarding some areas of my life where I feel that I do not measure up to the status ideal. It has helped me to understand myself and others better. I was left dissatisfied because I hoped, perhaps unrealistically, that the author would articulate an alternative to bourgeois capitalism, or suggest something more tangible for overcoming status anxiety. Instead he proposes that we seek for alternative for spaces where we can be appreciated in accordance with our own values. Fair enough, I suppose.
on 28 May 2015
A very fine book, although it would have been good to learn about the underlying drivers of our anxieties (eg status uncertainty in chimpanzees for instance).
on 4 December 2015
My favourite Alain de Botton book. This along with how Proust can change your life are his 2 best.
on 12 January 2018
thought provoking
on 26 February 2014
De Botton has that gift of showing you things you'll think ought to have been blindingly obvious. Sardonic and elegant, and a very addictive style.
on 27 October 2012
The summary as written on line prepared one for this book. No great surprises. Enjoyable to read if this is your taste in literature
on 20 May 2017
the reading is nearly perfect. I like it. thanks for the chance to listen to it for free!
on 8 May 2014
A thoroughly enjoyable canter through a subject that I had never really given much thought to before. I love his style of writing. It's easy to read but thought provoking and engaging.
on 22 March 2012
I needed this book to read as part of a of a Group, and found it an enlightening overview of history social history, clearly put, and well illustrated.