Customer reviews

How to Play Keyboards: All You Need to Know to Play Easy Keyboard Music
Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 July 2017
This book is clearly written and user-friendly for beginners, whereas some keyboard owner's manuals can be intimidating at first sight.
Note that the book is about keyboards, not the piano. The difference is in the use of the left hand: before realising this I was disappointed that the left hand is not exercised as much as the right. That said, fingered chords are introduced towards the end of the book.
There is a huge range of keyboards available and this book is a general introduction, so the owner's manual for the particular keyboard used is still needed. However, following the exercises in the book gives an incentive to get to grips with the manual.
Although not overtly American, the book refers to half and quarter notes, etc, with no mention of minims and crotchets. A few words about the alternative nomenclature would have been welcomed.
on 20 August 2017
A great way to learn keyboard. Easy to understand and follow. One of my best buys.
on 23 January 2012
This book is absolutely brilliant. I am a beginner who has struggled with Keyboard ending up making noises rather than music.This book got me going in less than an hour(mainly because it was written with Casio keyboard and mine was Yamaha).

His concepts are simple and the steps very easily followed and delivered in a particular way adding a layer on top of another.This books seems to be in the very British tradition of "Lecture notes on...." , and succeeds very well.
Some of the introduction to new information is very intuitive.For example, saying that the "E" note is the bottom line of the staff, the gap above is F and one below is D.Others have tried to make it easy by mnemonics as "Every good boy.." or "FACE" or where "G" starts, in all those cases you have too scan to find the line or space and in doing so, a beginner loses whatever music they had.E is the bottom line is easy it hits you as you go up the C.

The voices or instruments are suggested as well because everything in the Grand Piano voice on a half decent keyboard and the ambition of a beginner is not very melodious.

This book is somewhat dated but manageable as regards technical terms relating to keyboard and does start with Casio keyboard as the instrument.However, the very first chapter does intsruct you to understand your keyboard from its manual.

There are hints on working out the music by ear for hear and play.There is an index as well.
Overall, I found this book very helpful.
on 12 November 2011
Out of all the beginner keyboard books I have seen/tried I think this is the best. As an absolute beginner I found it very clear and well presented and the pace of learning is just right. I would recommend it highly to anybody learning the keyboard.
on 3 February 2012
This book was purchased for my wife who has no knowledge of musical notation and playing keyboard instruments. It has made a very big difference in her appreciation of what can be done and how to do it. The instruction manual that came with the Keyboard (Yamaha) is OK but not so easy for a beginner to understand.
I believe that this book will make the difference between progress and boredom.
on 6 November 2011
This book is very well put together so much saw that at 77 I can under stand most off it thank you Roger
john j.
on 11 February 2010
within a few lessons I could play simple tunes using the auto rythm and cords with both hands. Not awfully keen on some of the arrangements. When I get better shall have to get a more interesting book.However this book was cheap and does explain how to use all those features on my keyboard that previously mystified me. Good for someone like me who is at an almost complete beginner stage.Probably more suitable for an older player rather that a budding rock star.
on 9 January 2010
I am a total beginner but I find this book very, very helpful and easy to follow. Highly recommended for those who have absolutely no knowledge of how to play the piano or how to read music.
on 1 December 2009
Music reading very rusty,used to play piano a little but keyboards are different so felt the need for a specific tutorial book. This is just right for me. Takes one gently through the written music, very quickly building up to a recognisable tune. Despite my having previously read music I feel that this book will be just as beneficial to a complete beginner of any age as long as they can read simple English
on 1 August 2012
Well as a recently retired guy who knows nothing about reading or playing music, it was clear that just buying a keyboard didn't in itself solve things. This book seems just what I needed - okay I'm only ten pages or so in because it recommends becoming expert at each section before moving on - but for now I am very impressed. It has allowed me to start playing and building up the necessary skills. Excellent buy for the total beginner.