on 7 January 2010
I have tried stock photography, and submitted work a year ago. I found the whole process so off putting, with all the various keywords and the sheer amount of work you need to do to submit, the photos must be perfection itself. I felt rather frustrated with the whole thing, chucked it in, and forgot about it. A year has passed, and I have regained some enthusiasm and now have realistic expectations this time - AND I bought this book. I haven't read it throughout but from what I have read, well I would have preferred some real world experience, and also I would have like to read about how to make it a bit fun too.

He suggests to ask a friend to model for you. Ask your friends to model for you? I have done that, and I tell you it won't look professional. In fact, the friend was my sister who used to want to be a model, and it looked well, let's say the photos weren't accepted by any stock agency. So, if you have normal friends helping you out, UNLESS they are current aspiring models, don't expect much.

He suggests some great business and science ideas...but as he rightly says, how does a new photographer get into a science lab (and not one that is in the local school?) or realistically have that many multi-cultural friends all in one go willing to dress in business clothes. It'll cost more than a pint.

Also studio lighting is pretty high on the list for stock photography - but he doesn't really emphasise the importance of that. ???

But, there are some other points that are true, such as how nit picky the agencies are, and the unpredictability of photos, and he gives good advice on what to look out for in terms of flaws in the photos.

One suggestion I would have liked is a workflow because there are edits and keywording that has to happen to each photo, so I'm wondering what a realistic goal for that is.

I'll let you know if I actually sell anything this time with the help of this book, and whether I can make it fun and challenging. Let's see what I can conjure up 6 months from now, watch this space.
11 Comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 October 2009
Over the years I have bought an awful lot of 'how to make money from photography' books. Having worked as a professional photographer for many years I know how to expose, frame, use filters, angles, etc, etc., what I wanted was a bit more insight into this relatively new market.
That is exactly what you get with this book.
It is a very practical and unassuming book. It does not baffle you with techno-jargon, nor does it assume that your photographic skills are on a par with a professional photographer - at least to begin with!
What it does do is lead you through all the twists and turns required to make sure that your images are the ones that will sell. Sometimes you have to face a hard truth - like learning how to take images that people will actually buy, rather than taking pictures that you, personally, enjoy taking.
It also includes useful information on just about every stage of the process and what to expect.
Within a week of reading this book I made my first microstock sale. I honestly don't think this was a coincidence - I learned from this book exactly how to tailor my submissions and make them more salable. Before I read this book I had been floundering a little, to be honest, now I have a far better idea of exactly what is involved in microstock photography, and how to make sure I get my share of this particular market.
There is no easy solution, so if you are looking for a quick read followed by photo-stardom, this probably isn't the book for you. However, if you are prepared to read this book and act on the things you learn from it, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
on 19 April 2009
I recently decided to try my hand at stock photography and thought a book on the subject would be a good starting point. I decided on this one purely by the other reviews and in this case it was definitely the right decision.

The author covers basics such as which type of photo is suitable for stock and which isn't. It can be the best image in the world, but if it's not commercial then it probably won't sell. He then covers basic technique, composition and image manipulation using Photoshop (which is pretty much essential). There's also a list of the main stock sites and just basic advice that you need to know to be successful.

To be honest, so far, I haven't improved my stock photography significantly. However, before reading this book I could never understand why some of my images were accepted and some weren't. Now I understand. So it's just down to me to improve. Images have to be technically very good, with good composition and convey some sort of message. Afterall, conveying a messaging is probably what most stock photography is used for e.g. advertising, etc.

If you're happy with your camera technique but just need some pointers on the subject of stock photography, then this book is recommended.
on 29 April 2012
Like many photographers I have thought about ways of earning some money from my photography and considered taking pictures for stock libraries. I decided to read this book before spending any money on courses or equipment and to help me decide whether this was a way for me to go. I'm very glad I did as the author describes very thoroughly just what is involved in taking pictures for stock - you have to be serious about it and not merely submit a few pictures from time to time. I have no problem in recommending it as a very good source of information on what taking pictures for stock is all about.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 August 2017
Very informative!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 October 2009
Microstock Photography: How to Make Money from Your Digital Images

A useful book for aspiring "semi-professional" or serious amateur photographers.

Delivery time and condition of product on receipt excellent as usual.
on 27 August 2009
An exceptionally well written and comprehensive book containing all the information you are likely to want on all aspects of selling your digital images. The information it contains on what the various stock libraries look for when selecting photos and the images that sell is especially valuable. A number of different microstock libraries are described and compared and good advice is given on the relative merits of each. Many links are given to enable readers to access relevant sites. This is a veritable 'bible' for anybody wanting to sell their photos. Of course it cannot guarantee success - that is up to you, however with the knowledge you will gain from this book your chances will be greatly improved. Highly recommended.
on 8 May 2010
I wasn't expecting a whole lot from this book when I bought it as the cover looked a bit cheesy but as they say, never judge a book by it's cover and all that. The content is superb and after reading the entire book on my holiday I know a hell of a lot more than what I did. The main point the author stresses throughout is keep it simple regarding your stock images. One small thing that was a bit annoying was the errors the book had, like double words and missing ones, but not a big deal overall.

If you are interested in selling your images to microstock sites, you should buy this book.
on 11 April 2008
As a stock photographer myself, I've wanted to find more about microstock photography, but there is little information online and I had never seen a book on the subject before this one. Consequently I read Douglas Freer's book with excitement and enthusuasm. I was not disappointed. This book is a gem. It is written in an easy read but informative style and is lavishly but relevantly illustrated. It's a grandiose claim to say that you will find all the information you need to become a successful microstock photographer within its pages, yet I can honestly say that I don't see what else could have been added. The book covers everything from equipment and subject matter to the microstocks themselves and how to submit your images in a way that gives you the best chances of acceptance. Thank you Douglas for such a well written, fun and enlightening read.
11 Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 July 2010
This is a very well written book that clarifies the microstock market. If you are thinking of entering this market, this is a book that must be in you library. It does not promise easy money, only gives guidance for hard work. It helps you put your efforts where they will make the most. I highly recommend this book for anyone who is seriously considering making some income from their photography.