on 22 August 2008
I spent a lot of time looking around before going for this book. However I choose correctly for this book is everything you need to know about digital restoration. In fact it is over detailed for what I need, but then it's handly to have the extra information should I go beyond simply trying to reproduce very old photos. It's the kind of book that gives you the confidence to know that if you want to do something really complex with an old photo, then following this book will make the job fairly easy. Within the first day of getting this it changed the way I scanned old pictures. An excellent buy.
on 28 October 2009
If you're seriously into your photography and store on digital with pc, then you just might want/need to save some old photographs. Old b/w and slides can be brought back to life by following instructions within this fantastic book.
Some of us already use Photoshop etc to get good results but this book really does end the need for 'experimenting'. It shows us how to obtain a good initial digital copy, even before full restoration begins. Although in-depth it is easy to understand giving numerous examples on almost every page, you can guarantee your damaged pic is covered within these pages. A cracking reference worth every penny!
on 15 February 2014
I couldn't decide whether to give this three stars which is 'it's okay' or two stars for 'I don't like it'. I suppose my feelings are somewhere between those two, so consider it a two and a half rating from me. It's okay for someone who has patience, an old copy of the full Photoshop program and all the plugins the author uses. I don't like it because while I know a lot about digital photo restoration (and digitally colouring photos to make them look like they were taken in colour), I still like to have a library of books that enhance what I do know. This does not achieve that, at all.

Somewhere early in the book, the author says that workflow is important to him. I see little evidence of that. He didn't give enough thought to the layout of the book, or how easy it would be for anyone to follow it. He hops from one thing to another, the visual examples frequently not belonging to the text on the same page. He refers to previously mentioned techniques on earlier or later pages and this makes it very difficult to follow.

However, I have three major issues with this book:

1. He didn't think to 'future proof' it. It was published in 2007 and he should have known that even by a couple of years later the main program and any relevant plugins would have changed, people's operating systems would change and access to what he advises using, could be difficult to find or install. Instead of restoring photos by advising people to use specific plugins, it would have been better if he'd widened the field and described the techniques which could be used by different types of digital imagery editing software. For instance, a lot of what he talks about can be done in a cheaper program such as Photoshop Elements without any plugins at all. And even free programs like GIMP can achieve a lot (albeit, at present, without ability to use adjustment layers, but they do keep promising that that will change in time.)

2. He advocates adjusting the photo in a scanner using the scanner's software, before even getting the photo into Photoshop. So, what if you're working on a photo from a digital copy that you've been sent? That makes about a quarter of the book's information completely redundant. Also, even if you do have the original and a scanner with reasonable editing software of its own, this is not always a good idea as then you can't refer back to the original information. Scanners often make things look very good til you try to find the detail that it has lost during its enhancement.

3. Very few of the examples in the book of his before and after work actually show any difference. This would have been helped if he'd shown more extreme examples or if the examples were printed larger.

Finally - of the two examples on the front cover, only one photo is covered in the book: the lower one.
on 3 May 2012
I've read most of the books available on photo restoration with Photoshop and I have to say that this was by far the least satisfactory.
Ctein, I'm sure is a very talented guy when it comes to printing and photo restoration but this book is so badly written that I find it almost unusable.
In order to complete a procedure on one page you need to skip back a hundred pages or so in order to create the correct masks or apply filters for the procedure to work.
I find it an interesting armchair read but to sit down and attempt to apply any operation leaves me spitting fire.
I find it badly organised and very user-unfriendly.
The review of the 2nd Edition states: ..."guides you step-by-step through the entire process of restoring old photographs...". Lets hope so because this one certainly doesn't.
on 7 December 2016