Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 November 2010
I Purchased this book after borrowing a copy from my local library and I thought it's a great reference guide

I had used CS3 and know my way around it roughly, then upgraded to CS5 and quickly realised that I was only using around 5% of all of the functions so I started to look around for a book/magazines to help
Whilst there are some good magazines out there, they tend to concentrate on 1 part of CS at a time and assume that you know what to do to get that far (or at least remind you in a very brief way what you need to do), also most books tend to be expensive £20+

This book is under that £20 mark, it gives details of each step, (key presses etc) and also reminds you of how to do things like inverting etc (not quite every time it mentions it, but enough times to embed it in your mind)
The attached disc not some has sample photos for you to play with (and the whole book revolves around these photos) it also has some 12 hours of videos showing how to actually do the Projects in the book.

This I did like as whilst reading a book is one thing, being actually show is another

I would say that this is a book for beginners into CS and as well as good reference guide and refresher book for those who know about CS (like me) but are not using all of it
on 24 May 2011
Having been an Elements 6 user for the last couple of years producing prints from my digital images to enter photographic competitions and exhibitions, making the switch to a new PC and CS5 felt like being thrown in at the deep end, I nearly gave up, thinking I would instead purchase Elements 9.
BUT I thought that was a bit defeatist as CS5 is supposed to be the business, so instead I looked at a couple of books on Amazon and decided this essential skills one looked the best for me as it held my attention!

I would recommend everyone struggling to get to grips with CS5 orders a copy NOW. Although I have only scratched the surface so far and have not yet used the DVD, It is really easy to follow with good explanations and tips. Giving clear easy to follow instructions. I am sure it will be a constant source of reference as it is such an easy book to dip in and out of.

The section on the capability's of the up to date RAW processing has meant that so far most of my work has been done there without much else needed, therefore cutting down on time spent at the computer.

I know sooner or later the more complex operations will be needed and I look forward to working through some of them with the help of the book or DVD (or both).

I can honestly say this book has been a "lifesaver" for me.
on 24 January 2011
Excellent book.
Most people who own CS5 will already be familiar with Photoshop from earlier additions but this book is well laid out and explains in detail everything you need to know about Photoshop CS5 including the new features available.
Comes with a DVD for those who want to try out a series of exercises described in the book.
CS5 comes with ACR 6.3 and a good section of the book describes each feature of ACR along with a series of exercises and to be honest I now find that 90% of my time is spent working in ACR rather than the main body of Photoshop.
The book will be used as a reference or by students completing a course on Photoshop.
Amazons price is excellent and you will be lucky to find it cheaper !!
on 30 November 2011
This is a comprehensive book in many respects. Well produced with lots of illustrations of menu's and progress through the software as one follows the tutorials. I was initially unsure just how much I'd refer to it as its not what I'd call a 'pick and dip' book. It's more detailed than that and would repay studied viewing.
Sometimes I want a simple 'Do this' for this result set of instructions without knowing just why it worked. I've lso bought Martin evenings book as I'm determined after 15 years of using Photoshop to increase my skills by ..oh about 10% if I can.. what a program!
In short.. a good book for people who have a medium skill level already.
on 11 August 2011
The book is nicely produced and although I have a lot more to read I was disappointed with the accompanying DVD. What is on it is fine and Mark Galer is a good teacher: I have his excellent DVD for Elements 7. However the one with the book is largely concerned with Photoshop CS3. CS5 is so very different that I feel the publishers could have done better with what is quite an expensive paperback.
Photoshop is in people's estimation the most advanced and best-developed professional level photo editing software. Its great power, however, can make it very complicated to use for all but the most essential tasks. There are many excellent resources for those who want to learn more about Photoshop and its uses -videos, online tutorials, forums, magazines, journals, and books. "Photoshop CS5 essential skills" is one of the best book-length tutorials that I've come across thus far.

The book covers many Photoshop topics that are near and dear to all those who like to fiddle with digital photographs. It is divided into three thematic "modules": foundation module, advanced skills module, and imaging projects module. Within each module there are several sections, such as "Workflow," "Raw Processing," "Selections," "Layer Blends," "Align and Blend Projects," and several others. The book is very well written, and very easy to go through.

As you might have expected from a book on photo editing, there are many nice large photographs, illustrations and screenshots throughout. They really help with the overall readability, and improve your ability to absorb the material. Overall, this is a very nicely designed book that is a pleasure to go through.

The book comes with a DVD that contains over 12 hours of videos, as well as royalty-free high-resolution images. I found the DVD not easy to navigate on my Mac; it seems that it was created primarily with the Windows audience in mind. This is a bit odd considering that all of the videos are in QuickTime format, and the DVD comes with various versions of the QuickTime player installer. The videos are in general pretty good and very easy to follow. They are definitely well made and very pedagogical. The free images are really beautiful and definitely of pretty high quality. However, they too are embedded within each chapter and not easy to find.

Whatever your level of experience with Photoshop you'll find a lot of interesting and valuable information in here. Even though the book contains several more advanced projects and topics, anyone with some knowledge of the basic Photoshopping will be able to go through all of it in a reasonable amount of time. The book can also serve as a reference for any of your own projects.
on 17 July 2012
This book is not the easiest to follow, or work one's way through. In fact I found it very difficult to follow. The Scott Kelby and Martin Evening books on the subject are much easier to follow, and to be recommended.
on 17 April 2012
This is an excellent guide to learning CS5. It is clear and detailed and well constructed. The chapters are well arranged and there are many photos to illustrate each point. I very much like the guided projects which cover a host of different digital manipulation challenges. The DVD which comes with the book is a huge bonus as it has videos of the various projects with intelligent narrative. Definately worth the money.
on 15 January 2013
Mark Galer is a digital guru and knows his stuff when it comes to writing and teaching digital processing of camera RAW files in a non-destructive way. A must read for every photographer.Photoshop CS5: Essential Skills
on 14 April 2013
Just what i wanted and it came on time too
would recomend this product to anyone
interested in this field