Customer reviews

on 30 January 2009
Very good, and with a superb but a difficult to load DVD on my machine. Persist and it makes things easier. The DVD takes you through the basics of post production editing and makes the mundane every-day shots, exciting shots, Post Production.

Mark Galer's plus Elements 7 makes for a better combination than Photo Shop CS4! Adobe have shot themselves in the foot with this piece of software, because it is easier to use and doesn't have the usual steep Adobe learning curve...
...This is a better book than Phillip Andrews's 'Advanced Photoshop Elements 7 for digital photographers!'

I knew nothing about post production in pictures, now I improve my snaps by Galer's well explained, written and illustrated methods. Buy this as well, if you have bought Adobe's Photoshop Elements, you will be producing better pictures, for he explains about 'correct' exposure and other dodges as well!

I have another of Mark Galer's books that I have yet to read. I am looking forward to this.

J R
on 16 May 2009
This is a genuinely comprehensive book dealing with Elements. It starts with the factors that affect the quality of the image and how to control them. This can often be a little daunting for the beginner but the author's style of writing is highly readable. The way in which he adopts a step-by-step approach makes even the most complex areas seem logical and easy. This is clearly someone who understands how people deal with practical challenges.

The book then goes on to take you through a series of projects this enables you to build up a range of skills and enthuses you to explore the subject in more depth as you gain in confidence. The accompanying DVD was particularly helpful and supportive in this area.

I would strongly recommend this publication as a very good core reference resource for all who want to get into this subject in more depth and develop their creativity.
on 27 June 2009
This book is excellent. It has taught me many new PSE7 tricks and has allowed me to 'fix' photos that I thought were beyond help.

I was particularly impressed with the results achieved using the author's clever techniques in the 'Contrast' section of the book to lighten shadows while also improving the drama and depth of the sky.

The book jumps straight in to improving your photos - it assumes a basic knowledge of PSE7 - so there are not, thankfully, pages and pages of information about the Organiser or the Workspace to plough through.

As well as the 25 projects and loads of new techniques, the book does contain useful tips on setting up PSE7, a list of keyboard shortcuts and a "Jargon Buster".

The DVD with its added video tutorials, source files for the projects and PSE presets and brushes is a useful bonus.
on 30 March 2009
I had already used Scott Kelby's book for an earlier version of ElementsThe Photoshop Elements 5 Book for Digital Photographers and had found it very useful. When I bought Elements 7 I wanted to do more complex things. Mark Galer's book has allowed me to do just that. For example, it has allowed me to sharpen only the main subject of an image leaving out of focus backgrounds untouched and to make backgrounds out of focus that were originally too sharp.

There is still a lot more to master, but Mark Galer's book should be very helpful as I work through his more advanced techniques.

My only criticism is that although the author uses blended layers a lot and takes you step by step though many projects that utilize this methodology, he does not really explain the principles behind this technique. Readers are expected to learn by assimilation and example. Despite this the easy to use step by step descriptions of how to work through 25 projects are extremely helpful and all those I have used work very well indeed.
on 8 October 2009
There are many books available for elements 7 but this one is probably the cheapest and yet full of information without over complicating things. There is a DVD included which has video tutorials that take you step by step through a project. Also on that DVD are the same image files that are used in the video tutorial so you can produce exactly the same results as demonstrated. I would suggest this book to anyone who is interested in getting the most out of Elements 7.
on 12 May 2009
This book covers plenty of ground, although I am finding it difficult to follow at times, even though I am not an absolute beginner at photo manipulation.
The author obviously knows his subject,but it is a pity that some of his descriptions aren't as clear as they might be.
The accompanying videos on the DVD are proving very helpful.
Having said that I still think it is good value for money
on 30 January 2009
Hi thank you for this wonderful little book and CD. I have learnt a lot from it already and I have just started. The information is explained in detail - which, even I can understand. I am looking forward to chapter 4 where I am going to learn about blending and layers. Thank you again; the book is well worth buying.
on 1 April 2009
The book is easy to read, just what I was looking for, The dvd is great and easy to follow, well worth the money.
on 4 July 2009
This is an excellent book and I feel sure that it will prove to be so for me at a later date but for the moment I find that the auth0r's use of what seemed to be rather technical for me at this stage as a raw beginner.
on 12 December 2009
I find this book informative and very helpful, as there are so many things you can do with the photoshop and it is well illustrated and clear instructions. I find this book invaluable to me until I get more familiar with the workings of the programme.