on 2 February 2009
I have only just started dipping into this book, but i am already totally amazed by it. For such a complicated programme, Martin Evening's book makes clear sense of how, and more importantly WHY, you should do things in photoshop. This book is rightly hyped; in my opinion it is one of the best textbooks on any subject i have ever read.
on 7 July 2007
This book is a must-have for photographers who want to use Photoshop CS3 and Bridge CS3. It contains a lot of information and goes into the details of configuring Photoshop, using Bridge, using Camera Raw, editing, retouching and fine-tuning photos, making selections, filters, colour management, printing and more.

Photoshop is a very powerful program with so many features that it can be hard to find out what the best way is to achieve what you want and this book helps me a lot to get the most out of Photoshop.

A DVD is included with the book with movies that show you how to do things, extra chapters that are not in the book, a bunch of example images and extra information.
on 10 July 2008
I am finding this CS3 guide extremely helpful. I'm not a professional photographer, but working with graphics from camera to finished publications in the charity sector made a clear and concise guide to CS3 essential when I upgraded. I won't need all of the chapters but those which do relate my needs provide expert advice with a clarity and precision that is often lacking in user guides of this kind. The DVD which comes with the book is an absolute bonus and really accelerates the learning process. The photo samples provided support the explanations of new CS3 features admirably and many of the images are simply stunning. I also like the author's detached frankness when explaining occasional CS3 features which disappoint. I am similarly reassured by the same, detached comments when the writer draws attention to competing products.
An excellent guide. I just wish I'd purchased it from Amazon on line and saved myself ten quid!
on 4 August 2008
In a moment of extravagance I bought both Scott Kelby's and Martin Evening's books on Photoshop CS3. I have since sold the Scott Kelby book after giving up halfway through ! If you want to make friends with a needy, middle aged man, then his is the book for you. I just got sick of the corny jokes and the lack of focus. In contrast Martin Evening's book is up to his usual high standard. It's beautifully organised and has a clear focus on each aspect of the program in turn.
on 18 July 2007
Not so much a review as comment. Like many of the first CS3 books to hit the shelves, it missed the release of Camera Raw 4.1 in May '07. Unfortunately, ACR 4.1 is a major update of ACR 4.0 and includes new and significant controls and features e.g. new Sharpening controls, Clarity control, enhanced noise reduction, 2 new de-fringing controls, etc. Potential buyers should therefore be aware that this otherwise useful book does not mention or cover ACR 4.1 - if this is important to you.
22 Comments| 47 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 17 September 2007
And he always updates the book's website to include information on any new software updates including ACR 4.1, so anyone buying this gets the benefit of both. This is really the most comprehensive Photoshop CS3 guide for photographers on the market.
on 24 October 2008
This is quite a big book, and comes with a very informative DVD. It goes into a lot of detail and this sometimes makes it hard reading, it probably best to not try and read it "cover to cover", but rather use it like I do as a "reference" book. Some excellent techniques are shown, and the book is very well laid out and it is normally easy to find the information you require.
on 15 December 2009
This is very comprehensive, assumes a certain knowledge of CS3 which you would have before buying a book like this. I liked the style of what Martin Evening suggests is not necessarily the best way but it is what works for him. Written in a very intuitive manner with lots of very useful tips in the side panels on some pages.
on 24 March 2009
Pros:
- The book is very well laid out and methodically structured.
- The presentation is excellent and the images are inspiring. In fact I didn't know whether I should read it or polish it.
- The style of writing is concise.

Cons:
- The pitch of the book is variable. One minute it seems to be aimed at beginners, the next it's dropping in technical jargon which only people in the printing industry would understand. A glossary would not go amiss.
- The book as a whole is let down by the vague explanations of the more technical aspects of the Photoshop such as the colour management and printing sections. On more than one occasion I was left feeling frustrated and confused. Whilst I wouldn't expect an in depth explanation of every single detail, I do expect a coherent progression of the concepts.
on 7 January 2015
I use this book as a guide to photoshop, and also a tool to beat person that thinks that pulling alarm in my building was a good idea. It is pretty thick, but it would not change its trajectory when you throw it to other person. This book also strong enough that with a perfect mass and acceleration, it can create a very strong force to other person that tries to bully you.

It also comes with DVD, so if you want to learn photoshop, this is the best. A lot of photographers from shoppers catalog, magazine, natural, even models photographers recommended this.

It also very handy if you want to learn how to crop face and replace it to other body. Just for information, that's all. I don't bought this book for that. I bought it because I want to learn photoshop and stuff.